News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Cities

Started by nickjbor, October 20, 2008, 06:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjbor

I have some questions about Cities. They seem to be a very strange beast.

• In the starter guide/reference manual, it suggests not letting cities grow into one another. Why?
  • Is it worth it to demolish part of the city to add a new rail line
  • Do smaller cities (IE villages) get different treatment? If so, how

I will be compiling all the answers and writing some helpful tutorials.

VS

If you let cities merge, you are doomed. Building railroad designed for high speed (or airfields for that matter) requires space and houses deny you exactly that.

Some people prefer a highly organized network with strictly defined structure without side connections and bypasses and such irregularities. When cities merge, you may be forced to start making compromises with connections - because you can't use large scale modes of transport.

Of course this refers to situations when it gets rather bad. Look at these two:

Pustkovec and Tšice actually started as merged, no problems there. That was when they were both small, plenty of maneuvering space around. However you can see that on the second map Mečeříz, Bílovice and Loučej all merged together and the central area is one huge urbanized mess. That is what you should worry about.

(You can get the save at archive of old forum.)

And yes, demolishing parts of city is a fair payback ;D Although if you start with small cities, you don't really face this problem. And with modern features of Simutrans, I would rather build train station underground than demolish lots of perfectly good houses.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

jbode

Quote from: VS on October 20, 2008, 08:00:47 PM
If you let cities merge, you are doomed. Building railroad designed for high speed (or airfields for that matter) requires space and houses deny you exactly that.

OK, ok. But still possible to use an underground system to carry the majority of passengers to the outside of such cities. Depending how my map evolves I construct surface travel or underground - at seasides also ship transport is worth thinking about ... I build airports 98% of cases between two cities connected by railway. So my airports have more a hub function.

Jörg

VS

You are absolutely right. However...

Underground in 128 it costs about twice in maintenance and has speed limit of 160 :P Of course you can use it anyway.

Ships are absolutely wonderful. One canal solves any amount of transportation problems - except it's slow as hell. But sometimes it's also worth it.

I haven't actually played a map big enough for airplanes :(

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!