News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Automatic Station Naming

Started by dukederek, March 04, 2011, 03:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dukederek

Since signal placing, undergrounds and diagonal track building have become far easier than they used to be I seem to be spending a great propotion of my time naming my inner city stations.

I wouldn't be so arrogant as to suggest that my convention is coded into the game however a variable based scripting system would be amazingly time saving.

Since I like to number my stations by line and then within the line increment letters (1a, 1b, 1c... for line 1, 2a, 2b, 2c... for line 2) what I am thinking is a system wherein (probably on ctrl-click of the station button) an input box is opened where you can list various variables.

My thoughts would be something like "$cityname 'Station' '1' $counter" where every station placed would increment the counter or possibly look up values in a predefined array somewhere in a file. Obviously all the other naming conventions could have their variables as well ($industry, $geography, $goodsaccepted are ones which come to mind)

I appreciate this is probably a niche request but I often find myself spending more time naming stations than I did laying out the network in the first place!