News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Simcity-like features in Simutrans

Started by eddielexx, April 14, 2011, 02:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddielexx

Hello everyone, I had crazy year and only thing I could have done is to think about new SImutrans. Now, I have time, will and can't wait to begin working on this game. I was thinking about making mix of Simcity and Simutrans. I have so many ideas, and now, I thought we should make a plan, and see what might get into game.
So, for the beginning:

There will be solo playing, when game runs, we will see world globe, with randomized terrain(or it can be already predefined planet) with a landmass divided on countries(random or already predefined).
Player chooses our teritory, names it, upload a flag, and then map of a country appear, not in 3D, but as strategic map (as in Civ5), with all beginning(it would be good to include some kind of research so additional, more complex and expensive resources like Uranium can appear on the map only after particular research is done) resources appearing on that map.   
OFC, player can choose to see map in 3D, but it is not useful at least not in the beginning, except icon showing resource appears over the resource(as in Railroads)
3. Player then have to found a city(have to do that in 3D map), usually, the best spot is near some resource. Then, gives name to a city, and then, start building it.

Now, my ideas kick in, but firstly, I need your opinion on this. I mean, we really should have a game plan, and then begin codin, dont u agree?

skreyola

1. Sounds kind of like RRT2's territories. Could be interesting.
2. I think the research should be a player option, and that it should be a feature that is not put in until other, more critical features are working. It sort of makes sense that a company would have to jump through some hoops before transporting, forex, uranium or nuclear waste, but I'm not sure how fare you should go with that. If the cargo isn't hazardous, I don't need to research the cars just because they're complex, if I can buy them from someone else. But it might be interesting... and there could be things other than cargo that have to be researched (compare the patents auctioned in SM:Railroads! If you had to research them instead of just waiting for them to be auctioned off, that could be interesting, and form a strategic decision tree).
3. Not sure if players should have to found a city. Usually, you'd start your rail line in an existing city. I hope you aren't considering a rule that track must be connected to existing track, because that gets annoying very quickly.

I agree that design should come before coding. Not sure about some of your plans, given their distance from the current project. I mean, is this Simutrans3D or SomethingElseRailSim?
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

eddielexx

Well, I thought of merging Simcity and SImutrans, I think it is natural at this point, because transportation in randomly generated cities isnt nearly as fun as in your own made cities right? Where is everyone now? xD

Václav

Ajaj ... eddielexx, what you say is not merging SimCity and Simutrans - but Mobility and Simutrans, I think. But here we left topic of transition of Simutrans into 3D.

Pages of Mobility

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

eddielexx

Well, randomly generated cities in Simutrans 3D would be less than functional, so I still want to make SImutrans this way. I have so many ideas... Just need this community.

Ashley

Procedural generation of city terrain is quite a well-developed field these days. Much of the city in GTA4 was procedurally generated for example...

Maybe if you could write some code to demonstrate your ideas they would have a better chance of becoming reality? It's easy to daydream...
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

skreyola

I would imagine that legal issues would prevent a merging of SimCity and Simutrans (or anything else, for that matter).
--Skreyola

Banter

Quote from: skreyola on April 16, 2011, 04:17:20 PM
I would imagine that legal issues would prevent a merging of SimCity and Simutrans (or anything else, for that matter).

Could you explain me how exactly?

eddielexx

4. City building will depend on actual situation in game economy. For example, if there is only 1 company, that is related only to farming, city can't grow much, because there are two or three office buildings, because of a low demand, which means residential development will be low.
5. Companies - player have to create a company in order to acquire an industry and begin hauling goods from and to. There will be some public companies like water ut, electricity ut. Waste comp. They can be bought by buying assets when they are on sale (randomized event). Player can own one or more mega-companies which can be cover for other companies. Two or more companies can merge into one too, for example railways and public transportation. These things should be limitless and flexible.

skreyola

Quote from: Banter on April 17, 2011, 06:39:21 AM
Could you explain me how exactly?
It occurs to me you are probably talking about Micropolis (which is the project name as released under the GPL). So, never mind my previous comment, except to say that you need to be mindful of trademark (SimCity name belongs to Maxis(?) or somebody else).

@eddielexx: Your game there is getting very complicated. Be sure, if you include all of this, that any combination of them can be ignored by the player to focus on any one of them. Otherwise, you should narrow your focus. Hardly anyone will want to play a game that requires micromanagement of two or more major focus models, much less if an overall model must be kept in mind, too.
--Skreyola

alexbaettig

Quote(SimCity name belongs to Maxis(?) or somebody else).

SimCity belongs to Maxis which was bought by EA... So in essence to them! Just to confirm that...

skreyola

Thanks, Alex. I figured someone had bought them out but couldn't recall who it was.
--Skreyola

jamespetts

Maybe this topic should be split from the discussion of 3d...?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Fabio