News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Slight improvement to menu buttons

Started by jamespetts, January 07, 2014, 12:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

I have made some slight improvements to the menu buttons. The most significant change is that I have created a graphical button for the network/multiplayer game menu, replacing the existing "Net-work" word in black. This is based on the globe icon from Pak128 with a slightly enlarged version of the little networking icon that one sees in the bottom right of the screen if one is connected to a network game overlayed upon it.

The second most significant change is the addition of shortcut key hints to menu buttons: previously, some buttons had these and some did not. I am not sure whether the Standard version of Pak128.Britain has all of these bindings, but, if not, I suggest that the relevant file from Experimental be used, as it is useful to have a full set of shortcut keys.

I have also used one of my new trams as the tram icon, as the previous icon was of a tram which was not at the correct scale (either in absolute terms, or in the proportion of its width to its length).

Finally, I have removed some stray pixels and other small errors. I hope that this assists.

(The only difference in this one is the addition of the "L" in the icon to show that the tool for placing power lines can be selected using the shortcut key "L".)

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Drewthegreat87

Would these new keybindings and menu buttons seamlessly work with standard or is there some code tinkering that I would need to do to get it to work? Standard doesn't have the "remove catenary/electrification" option, so I'm pretty interested in getting this going...unless the hotkey is present in standard and it just doesn't have the menu button...

jamespetts

There are no changes to the actual game code required for these to work in Standard, but you will need to borrow menuconf.tab from the Experimental version of the pakset, which can be found here.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Drewthegreat87

Should I build this in a pak file or is there a subfolder that it goes in? I'm searching through trying to find a source of the menu buttons. I'll edit this post accordingly if I get it to work.

Thanks!

jamespetts

If you are building from source using makeobj, this should go into ~/gui/gui64. I hope that this helps!

kierongreen

Note that these menu buttons don't include the tools necessary for climates and half/double slopes.

jamespetts

Ahh - thank you for pointing that out. Is there a set of Pak128.Britain menu buttons that does include the requisite graphics?

kierongreen

jamespetts

Ahh, thank you. Splendid. I have now produced a composited version of the .png file with the improved menu buttons together with the extended buttons for climates, here:

May I ask - are the revised menuconf.tab configuration settings compatible with pre-double heights code?

kierongreen

No - slope numbers don't match at all. Plus not sure what non-existent climate tools and water raise/lower would do.

jamespetts

Thank you for letting me know - that is helpful. I shall have to create a branch on Github for testing, in that case.