News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Max Freight Cost

Started by stevenlim84, June 24, 2009, 12:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevenlim84

Hello everyone! I suggest to have a max freight cost system in Simutrans in order to prevent some unrealistic transportation (such as to transport bulk goods/autombile by air).

My idea is that each type of goods the producer/consumer can only afford a certain percentage of freight cost in additional to the goods cost. So there will not be someone think to transport some low goods value goods (such as coal/ iron ore) using some expensive ways.

In order to make this idea easier to be incooperated in simutrans, I suggest to have the max freight cost per tile. For example, we may have the maximum freight cost of 1 crate of books at 1.00/tile no matter which type of transportation you choose. When the player use some expensive way to transport books, the max freight cost collected from consumer/producer is only 1.00/tile. That means any cost above 1.00/tile will be in account of the transporter. I think this can prevent the consumer/producer to pay unfair freight cost. The transporter only transport the goods in expensive but express way only in emergency (such as lack of space in the station). This will make simutrans closer to real routine transportation.

Please feel free to discuss if my idea can be accepted

Combuijs

Well, I think it is up to the maintainer of the pak involved to decide what is reasonable and what is not. He has enough tools for it. He can just refuse to make a plane that can transport bulk goods (there isn't one in standard pak64 for example) and he can make the cost of transportation very high compared to revenue.

I don't see the use of your extension, it only complicates things.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

prissi

THe income per tile is already fixed. It can be increase a little, if the good in question has a speedbonus. But other than that, the cost is fixed.

(Btw, when Siemens first set up their 1MB chips, they imported water by airplane from taiwan, since the german water was too prue for a processing step. So sometimes there is bulk stuff transported by airplane, if urgent enough. Also during berlin skilift operation, all coal (and even an entire power station) was transported via airplane!)

ariarinen

Quote from: prissi on June 24, 2009, 11:33:01 AM
THe income per tile is already fixed. It can be increase a little, if the good in question has a speedbonus. But other than that, the cost is fixed.

(Btw, when Siemens first set up their 1MB chips, they imported water by airplane from taiwan, since the german water was too prue for a processing step. So sometimes there is bulk stuff transported by airplane, if urgent enough. Also during berlin skilift operation, all coal (and even an entire power station) was transported via airplane!)
Also cars has been transported by air and its possible even today

vilvoh

Quote from: ariarinen on June 25, 2009, 05:14:42 PM
Also cars has been transported by air and its possible even today

In Simutrans is already possible, at least with pak64 but it's not worth, the cost are very high.. ;D

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

ariarinen

Quote from: vilvoh on June 25, 2009, 09:42:18 PM
In Simutrans is already possible, at least with pak64 but it's not worth, the cost are very high.. ;D
I know, the C-5 with the pak64 money ain't a problem.

But I was talking about real world, in the 60's some planes was flying pax and cars between France and UK, but its still possible to load a car as cargo in a airliner.