News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Simutrans Potential Bus Add Ons

Started by joedobson, April 28, 2014, 08:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joedobson

Hiya

I'm new to the forum, however play Simutrans 128 Britain an awful lot (Perhaps too much) and I have noticed that there are many buses used on todays roads which are not included in the set.

I was the main person behind the UK Bus Pack for Chris Sawyers Locomotion and so have got thousands of bus sprites. I had a go at trying to use these for Simutrans but I have read stuff explaining how to make buses over and over and over again and just cannot do it. If there would be anybody wanting to do these buses I would be more than happy to send them over! I'm also the owner of UK Paperbus, and I can convert any of the drawings you see on there into sprites quickly.

Drop me an email if you'd like to help me with this!

UK Bus Pack for Locomotion: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=57342
UK Paperbus: https://www.facebook.com/UKPaperbus

Joe

jamespetts

Welcome to the forums! It is always a happy thing when people volunteer to assist. There are some complexities involved in ensuring that graphics are compatible with Pak128.Britain, however, especially in ensuring that the lighting/shading are the same, as well as the scale. The latter is complicated further by the fact that many of the existing 'buses are out of scale and need to be re-scaled to match the trams and trains, and the fact that the scale is different in the height/width than it is in the length.

May I ask - were your graphics hand-drawn or rendered from a 3D program? For Pak128.Britain, the (free and open source) Blender is used to render graphics from 3d models: this makes the production of the graphics easier and ensures that the scale and shading are consistent (and makes the latter more realistic than could easily be achieved by hand-drawing). I suspect that hand-drawn vehicles would look obviously different next to Blender renders. However, if the vehicles are based on 3D models of any sort, there is a good chance that they could be imported into Blender and re-rendered using the correct scale and lighting/shading for Pak128.Britain.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

prissi

locomotion uses 256 view, so they are almost certainly rendered ...

jamespetts

Ahh, well, if that is so, there is a good chance that they will be adaptable. We could certainly do with some more 'buses.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

joedobson

Yes, a few types of buses I did for Locomotion were:

Wright Gemini (B7TL/B9TL)
Wright Gemini 2
Hybrid Gemini
Wright Eclipse 2's
Wright Eclipse Urban
Wright Renown
ADL Enviro 200/300/400
Dennis Darts
Wright Pulsars

and many many more! I also did them in various liveries which is something I would like to bring to Simutrans, because then you can build up a fleet of First buses for instance, where at the moment you are limited to the B7TL

jamespetts

Ahh, yes, Experimental has explicit support for multiple liveries. Which 3D software did you use?

joedobson

I think the modelling software used was Train Sim Modeller, as the original models were created for Microsoft Train Simulator as scenery objects.

jamespetts

Hmm - I have not come accross that one. Does it have any means of exporting objects into any standard formats? Blender has quite a few import converters.

The Hood

I'd be very interested in this but as jamespetts says ensuring consistency with the existing graphics is key. There's no requirement for doing them in blender, and if you have another good way of getting the right shading and scale in other programs there's no problem there, but the easiest way for consistency is probably to export and then import into blender if possible.

greenling

Hello All
The Porting a Grafic from Microsoft Train Simulator to Simutrans it not more possible.
The grafics out Microsoft Train Simulator have a very rar Files typ.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!