News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Industrial stations & extensions

Started by VS, May 26, 2012, 08:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VS

Zeno - oh, I tested this. Assuming:

a) the crane is always pictured in a position at the distant end from screen and
b) the facility is 3x3 or 4x4

Then, it is possible to use front-images of tiles on "second floor" and completely cover anything on the tiles inside. That's important, since they will have FrontImages, too, and these must be "overlayed" by something closer to screen.

The catch is that it will have to be a bridge crane. Well... it is theoretically possible to have a 3-piece, 2-hole structure, but that's stretching it a bit far IMHO.
http://sell.lulusoso.com/upload/20110823/handling_gantry_container_crane_of_China.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-LSyJuQ6UUiQ/TcaPOgvRoWI/AAAAAAAAAKk/xBf7qhB4qc4/s1600/gantry%2Bcrane%2Bin%2Bops.jpg
http://zzhz.com/product/gantry_crane/Rail_mounted_Container_Gantry_Crane_135.html

edit: Attached plan of how I see this...

Timothy - I doubt there will be that many buildings using large holes ;) However, this feature is popular with OpenTTD addons, too, allowing stations inside industries.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

greenling

Have everyone be speak with vilvoh over this projekt?
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Lubak91

So, let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you are completely sane?!

sdog

Hah! i know you'd come up with a workaround, finding one of those brilliant ideas.

VS, that way one can also create overpasses over passenger stations. (you know those bridges the pax can get to stations!)

@greenling, i sent him a message

Lubak91

So, let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you are completely sane?!

Zeno

greenling

Lubak91
The Crane they you be Paint it´s Very great. :) :) :) :)
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

VS

Wow... and that fits on one tile?

Anyway! Sorry to interrupt the awesome movie about all the cranes with a short commercial ;D

Road stations to go with the rest of "high tile" set. What stuff do you think could go there? IMHO they're a bit too narrow for any crates or machines... And I can think only of lamps and some stairs.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Zeno

They look great. You're right with the objects, it's very narrow. Maybe some marks (paint) on the road could be nice, to indicate the stop place.

Vladki

What about this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pallet_jack
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forklift_truck
And maybe some palettes (empty or with boxes), bags (grain), kegs (beer), and such stuff.

Lubak91

VS: Yes, on one tile...

mEGa

Hi,

crane looks very good.
But imho, just a little too big for pak128 game ? See next snapshot :

neighborhood industrial buildings are so small than crane. Compare too with high buidlings on the left... What do you mean about it ?
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

Vladki

Lubak: The crane over railroad does not appear in menu. Perhaps some bug/typo in dat file?

Lubak91

Vladki

Ah sooooo. The pak with koleje (rail) is just rails for the crane at the side of the road...
I thought it would be the same crane but build over a railroad track - so I was looking in railroad menu...

mEGa

Oh, yes... A big crane As I can see. Good, sincerily
May be it will be more suited for the harbour docks ?

For example : old cranes in Nantes harbour (France):

mEGa

Quote from: Vladki on June 02, 2012, 05:06:19 PM
Ah sooooo. The pak with koleje (rail) is just rails for the crane at the side of the road...
I thought it would be the same crane but build over a railroad track - so I was looking in railroad menu...

Yes, a good Lubak's idea : use tram track to associate rail and road fret !

Lubak91

VS

Zeno is productive.

I am lazy and tired.

More... soon, but definitely not now :D

Fabio

About the road stop:
Do you use my road pavement texture? (actually it's Raven's edited)...
You can get it in the xcf source. Or even better, no pavement at all, it'll uses the road's...
You can add some yellow/black stripes on the platform edge.
And you could add some markings on the road, like to tell where the trucks should pull out.

Zeno

Quote from: VS on June 02, 2012, 08:36:54 PM
Zeno is productive.

I am lazy and tired.
Blender is productive. Zeno & VS were lazy and tired. Now I've slept a lot (hope you had some sleeping too), so another day is welcome.

This is starting to look promising. I'm really anxious and looking forward seeing this in simutrans, and make some real tests :)

VS

Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to report some good progress. A dream is coming true, slowly... You have a testing pak so that you can check it's not a fake :P Only one rotation so far, though.

Zeno

mEGa

VS

Well, it was (and still is) a joint venture, so don't forget that Zeno did all the graphics, I'm just a humble plumber and tile-cutter :)

greenling

Vs
Super you have be make a good work! ;D

VS

Heh, preview version tested, no need for frontimages at all! Zeno rocks :)

http://vs.simutrans.com/remote_images/BIG/scrshot-cranes.jpg

Fabio

Awesome piece of engineering, guys! Kudos!

Vladki

VS: very nice. Is the ramp extension ready? Whould you please post the pak for the ramp as well? I can find only screenshots, but not the pak.

grampybear

WOW  Great work.   Thank you all

VS

Ramp should be in last nightly, or next...

Crane still has something on to-do list, so in a week or two.

Fabio

Quote from: VS on June 03, 2012, 03:16:04 PM
Heh, preview version tested, no need for frontimages at all! Zeno rocks :)

http://vs.simutrans.com/remote_images/BIG/scrshot-cranes.jpg

While being absolutely amazing, I believe the shadows are a bit too dark, compared with the rest of the pakset (e.g. Zeno's ware storage extension used in the same preview)

Zeno

You're right fabio, we took as reference the south image to calculate lights, but I should have used the north view, which is the one with more shadows. That way I would have ensured enough light for all views. We'll try to adjust that for the last run, thanks for reporting :)