News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Possible bridge bug

Started by Ethonal, September 27, 2014, 02:56:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethonal

sorry if this is a double post, its been 10 mins now and my other post hasn't popped up, maybe waiting for mod approval?, either way il have a save game link in this one, as if its waiting for mod approval it might be 7-8 hours before its accepted.

so I only just started this game (the experimental version), I connected 2 cities that wernt connected by using steel cantilever bridges they have a weight limit of 60t my Paxton paragon when loaded doesn't weigh one tonne, however it seems the bus doesn't want to pick on more than 11-14 passengers, if there are more waiting at the stop it just leaves them there (on all 3 stops) never going above 11-14 on the bus. I replaced the bridge with a concrete bridge (70t) and the bus started working as intended/expected

Simutrans 11.35
.PAK Pak128.Britain 0.9.1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tgg4a0pz2dd98b7/Dan%20bug.sve?dl=0

jamespetts

I cannot reproduce this. I do not think that it can be connected to the bridge, since the nature of the bridges that a convoy passes are not accessible to the part of the code that decides what passengers to load. Are you sure that the passengers who are not boarding the coach are not just waiting for another, faster coach to get them to their destination?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ethonal

I only have the one bus on the route, (and servicing the stops where people just carry on waiting,its a fairly short route, maybe a freak accident but il play around and see if I can reproduce it on my own map. maybe they just don't like the look of the bus driver, and thinks he will plunge them into the river :)

ok the game doesn't like me, Its working fine in the uploaded save game now aswell, so it was clearly a issue client side, only thing different about then and now is that I had my pc off, and restarted simutrans

with that being said I still have issues with the iron grinder bridge it doesn't like my buses going over at all, I just get back no route, (that was the bridge orignaly there before I built the catilever stell

and I found a way to reproduce my error :) il make a new post for that though

Ethonal

ok so with this uploaded game, it was just before the bug I encounted, doing the same steps done before the bug gets reproduced, in this scenario at least

1) so there are currently 2 iron grinder bridges that wont let my bus across as its a bit to heavy
2)delete the 2 bridges (killing the poor red car) and the low grade road pieces left either end

3)build steel cantilever bridges in the same place

4) connect both ends (im betting you knew this part ha)

5) (fast forward) notice how when the bus gets to  staninghall it picks up half the people leaving several waiting for Hatfield still, some of the attempts I had to resend the bus from the depot

6)complain :)

I could reproduce this by doing the steps, and by moving the bridge location (still catilever though) while the other steel bridges work as expected)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8vtm806lnrad0k/Dan%20experimental%202.sve?dl=0

DrSuperGood

The problem appears related to the loading speed of the bus. If you make it wait at the stop for a while (timetable) it will pick up more people.

Ethonal

while true, the bus times arnt tampered with on any of my lines (yet) however its common to see 20-25 people get on at my other stops (all using the same bus)

also it I change the bride type to any other steel bridge they load fully (all passenger leave the stop to board the bus)

EDIT: so after increasing the wait time slightly more people are infact getting on, however whats is still confussing me, is why is (at default) the catilever bridge only allowing 11 or so people while stell truss bridge is allowing everyone to board

EDIT 2: there seems to be some hidden variable here, so if following the steps like before with these alterations the numbers in the following lines relate to the step in my above post

4.1 send bus to depot and resend on route, he will only pick up 11-14 people, if setting wait time to 0 3 (im assuming this is 3 mins) bus loads/unloads correctly
BUT
4.1 select bus but instead press scedual and then close it (so he reassess his route) he will continue to pick up all passengers with a wait time of 0 0 (default)

EDIT 3: so I noticed that when setting 0 3 it doesn't take effect, I remember reading something about having to turn wait until load on aswell, however even with the off changing the wait time (even if it doesn't take effect, as its noted underneath  0   3
                                     off  off
it seems to fix the line. so its not a bridge bug, it seems to be something to do with how the values are working in the loading/unloading part

dschr

Hello Ethonial,

i downloaded the savegame and followed you explanation and everything seems to work here. All travellers boarded the Bus. I have to say that i have used a more revent version of simutrans-ex, so i would say that your problem got solved since the last stable release.
Right now i am on Philip's berlin branch for the binary:
https://github.com/pipcet/simutrans-experimental/tree/berlin
and on James' half-height branch for the pakset:
https://github.com/jamespetts/simutrans-pak128.britain/tree/half-heights

Still, there is a lot to do and if you want to join in for testing, feel free to contact me.

jamespetts

Thank you very much for testing this: that is most helpful. Apologies for not having been able to do more development work on this recently: I am still in the midst of buying a house, which makes it rather difficult to give Simutrans-Experimental the focus that it needs to be done properly.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.