News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Got steel?

Started by Roads, August 21, 2012, 06:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roads

In my game it is 1958.  I desperately need steel, not a lot, at very distant location from the only steel factory.  I had waited for a few years on a new ship or barge thinking there would be one available when the old ship became obsolete.  Also thought the steel truck which became available in 1928 would surely be replaced any day.  That has not happened.  Yes there is a truck (tractor) and trailer available but loaded it is the same speed as the 1928 truck.  Actually the tractor is slower because the take off is at a snail's pace...I'm talking 5 mph per hour!

Anyway, the new ship that became available in 1958 has a capacity of 800 steel and costs an incredible 554,796!  The current balance in my bank account is 56,199.  I have been able to talk the Public Service guy into building another steel mill close by and will buy the 1928 vehicle since I simply cannot afford either the ship or train at this point.

I think we really could use a steel truck for this pak.

Zeno

I have plans on painting several road vehicles, some may carry steel. It may take a while to finish the project, but I'll think of your suggestion when I put my hands on work with the trucks.

Edit: Anyway, I'm reviewing some vehicles and I can see a Mack steel trailer that is available since 1951.

Václav

Roads, I suggest downloading of some czech addons of trucks. I am not sure if there are some such trucks that may carry steel - but you cannot do something bad by downloading of them.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

Roads

@Zeno

The Mack truck is the one that loaded runs at max 40 mph and takes off at about 5 mph.  There is another truck but it only works with the goods trailer and that truck also costs a fortune to operate.
Thanks in advance for working on the vehicles.  If you have something I can do to help, just tell me what I to do.

@Vaclav

Do you have a link for those vehicles?  I did not see them at the addon site: http://addons.simutrans.com/?pak=128&cat=vehicles&todo=search

Václav

Quote from: Roads on August 22, 2012, 11:48:42 PM
@Vaclav

Do you have a link for those vehicles?  I did not see them at the addon site: http://addons.simutrans.com/?pak=128&cat=vehicles&todo=search
Czech addons are in this topic of forum. And you can choose almost everything what you may want - steam, diesel or electric locomotives, passenger rail cars, freight rail cars, trucks, buses, trolleybuses, trams, some city buildings ... and more.

Packs of czech trucks are behind these links (that are available in that topic, too):
truck set
Tatra
- simply click on Stáhnout soubor.

Roads

Many thanks for your trouble, Vaclav.

There is a charge for downloading those vehicles.  This is likely only for foreigners since a credit card screen came up when I selected country as "other."  I think I can use my credit card.  I just need to see the conversion from Euro's to dollars to see how much it is going to cost me.  I'm not sure the vehicles are what I need so would like to know that before I pay for them.  Also not sure my computer can handle .rar files...need to check that out.

VS

Ah! No! That's the screen where you select fast paid download or slow free download. Press the button to the right (stáhnout pomalu).

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Václav

Quote from: Roads on August 23, 2012, 10:57:57 AM
I'm not sure the vehicles are what I need so would like to know that before I pay for them. 

Also not sure my computer can handle .rar files...need to check that out.
I beg your pardon. I forgot on the second screen.

Download 7zip - it can handle this type of archive.

Roads

Many thanks guys!

I'm getting there.  Got an account created and downloaded the .rar file.  Now I see what I need is likely the Tatra file but it will be tomorrow before I can download it since I can only download one file per day.  I might go ahead and buy a program to unpack .rar files...will think about that.

Good thing that google translates the pages!

greenling

Roads
I use Winrar to unpacking rar files.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Václav

Roads: Buy? You must be crazy.  ;D

Here is link to web of 7-zip: www.7-zip.org.

Roads

Vaclav, aww I was just considering buying it if it was only like 5 dollars or something like that.  I really would love to have a steel truck.  I've just tried to download Winrar as Greenling suggested but for some reason it will not download.  Normally I never have a problem with that, maybe it is my firewall.  I'll see.

MODIFY:  Correction.  I did not have trouble downloading the file.  It hung when I ran setup.  After disabling my internet connection and turning off my firewall, I got a message saying the file was corrupt and I needed to download again.   Will try that.

Roads

Vaclav, I got the Tatra trucks.  There was no steel truck but the others are very nice!  I'm afraid I would be cheating if I use them now though.  My fastest truck is, I believe, 62 mph.  These are 75 mph!

That said, if no new trucks become available when I get a 70 mph bus, I will most certainly use the Tatra trucks.  Thank you very much for all the help!

Václav

Use TATRA 141 with trailer podval P-50 ocel. In year 1958 you should have available both these ones. But game will show you max. speed only 45 km/h.

And from year 1960 you will have available next trailer for steel (mod. naves na ocel). Use it with skoda_706_RTTN or skoda_706_MTTN ... or later with liaz 110.581 (and I am not sure what truck is next in queue).

Roads

That will work better than standard.  Although the speed will be the same, without even checking I'm sure the trailer's capacity is at least three times the standard steel truck.  It is way better to have five slow trucks on the road than fifteen.  Buses can pass five.  Fifteen slows everything down.