News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Following up the source code change: where?

Started by IgorEliezer, October 21, 2012, 06:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IgorEliezer

Since I'm an "occasional" programmer for CAD (Computer-Aided Design) and make small applications for Engineering and Architecture once in a while, I feel interested in following up the changes that our beloved devs have been submitting in the SVN... not only because I'm a curious person and, perhaps, I find some nice idea there; I'd just like to see how the code is coming along, via browser.

There's the svnlogs http://svnlogs.simutrans.com/simutrans.html but this doesn't show what in the code has changed. I found this repos in the Git https://github.com/aburch/simutrans/ which seems pretty updated (the head rev is the same as the svnlogs). I think it is what I was looking for... or is there something else? :)

Dwachs

I use the github mirror, too, to keep up-to-date with the changes of the program :)
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Markohs

Can't you just keep track of the subversion directly?

svn://tron.homeunix.org/simutrans/simutrans/ (username anon, no password)

Ters

I thought of suggesting the same, but browsers don't understand the svn protocol, and even if http was used, you would not have easy access to metadata like the history.

Dwachs

It is much more convenient to be able to use browser to investigate changes than to use svn command line interface.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

VS

Tortoise is somewhat heavy for "just a look", although it is probably the best thing around for this task (can get logs and diffs without checkout).

Honestly, there is no good advice for this. You want to look at the code, get it... more or less ;)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Ters

Quote from: VS on October 21, 2012, 07:21:49 PM
Honestly, there is no good advice for this. You want to look at the code, get it... more or less ;)

Github doesn't look so bad, except that revision numbers are a bit hidden if one wants do discuss a particular commit, or look up a revision that has been mentioned by someone else.

Ashley

Having the svnlog output include the changed files would be a simple case of adding the -v switch - it'd be neat if the svnlogs site did this.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

Ters

I get a list of changed files from svnlogs.simutrans.com. Not the actual changes, but at least the file names, and whether they were added, modifier or (I suppose) deleted. Just click at the underlined directories, for a single file, that single file is listed instead of the directory in the first place.

Ashley

Ah, it doesn't have that info in the RSS feed, but it does in the HTML version.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.