News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

SVN is down

Started by An_dz, March 06, 2014, 06:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwachs

Quote from: wernieman on March 21, 2014, 08:34:35 PM
svn://tron.yamagi.org the official SVN or not? SVN was 2? Week offline and when it is online (2 Days?) there is no checkin?
I would vote for YES

Switched my working copy with

svn switch --relocate svn://tron.homeunix.org/simutrans/simutrans/trunk svn://tron.yamagi.org/simutrans/simutrans/trunk
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

jamespetts

Quote from: Ters on March 22, 2014, 11:51:29 AM
Preferrably not until we have decided on how to resolve the SVN issue.

Ahh, I see. As long as it is fixed in the end, all will be well. It is good of Tron to have maintained the SVN so long, and of everyone else to have spent so much effort in seeking to have it fixed. Simutrans is a splendid community.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Tron

Quote from: Dwachs on March 22, 2014, 11:57:35 AM
Switched my working copy with

svn switch --relocate svn://tron.homeunix.org/simutrans/simutrans/trunk svn://tron.yamagi.org/simutrans/simutrans/trunk

If the command I gave above didn't work for you, you must have a very old version of svn. svn relocate was introduced more than two years ago with svn 1.7.0.

Dwachs

I have svn 1.6.x installed ...

Took the freedom to commit some fixes and tweaks to the relocated repo. Thank you tron for your help!

Dwachs

Could we agree on using tron.yamagi.org as repository?

Would it be a good idea to forward svn://svn.simutrans.com to tron's repository?

Markohs

I deleted svn.simutrans.com repo yesterday. There is nothing more to agree on

Ters

Quote from: Dwachs on March 22, 2014, 03:07:29 PM
Would it be a good idea to forward svn://svn.simutrans.com to tron's repository?

Why not? Nobody else is using that domain. It also makes it easier if the repo has to change domain later.

An_dz

Quote from: Ters on March 22, 2014, 04:04:24 PM
Quote from: Dwachs on March 22, 2014, 03:07:29 PM
Why not? Nobody else is using that domain. It also makes it easier if the repo has to change domain later.
+1

Markohs

If you doubt about Isaac's community founded servers stability and security maybe this is not the brightest idea,  adding double failure points. But well, it's acceptable if it's just a CNAME the risk is low. Anyway, do as you wish, I've wasted more time here than I should have.

Ters

I was thinking just a CNAME. If we lose simutrans.com or the DNS for its subdomains die, the SVN domain can still be accessed directly, as long as we remember what it is. That last part is probably the only drawback of having a svn.simutrans.com redirect.

An_dz

So, can we create the CNAME?

Ters

How ironic that simutrans.com (the domain name itself) was down earlier today. At least for me.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I ended up with a few issues during the server moving process.

I'm on what they call a "SMART" server now - I think if I need to move servers again, all they have to do is move the VM-that-takes-the-whole-server to another server, i.e. no changes, just faster hardware after a quick copy..... :)

But basically, I screwed up DNS and had to fix it and didn't realize until it was already a problem, of course. d'oh

Vladki

Hi all,

a few years ago I made for our customer a very simple dyndns server - compatible with most dyndns.org clients (tuned with inadyn). It is a simple PHP script translating the requests from GET/POST to nsupdate. It would allow us to have the svn.simutrans.com record pointing directly to the svn, without relying on any public dyndns services. Interested?

hreintke

LS,

I have setup my development environment using msvc and the integrated git support on that.
But since the move of svn the git copy is not updated anymore (latest version on git = 7096, dated march 2).

Will the regular update of git be reinstated shortly ?

Kind regards,

Herman

jamespetts

Quote from: hreintke on March 27, 2014, 03:55:19 PM
LS,

I have setup my development environment using msvc and the integrated git support on that.
But since the move of svn the git copy is not updated anymore (latest version on git = 7096, dated march 2).

Will the regular update of git be reinstated shortly ?

Kind regards,

Herman

Interesting - I was not aware of the integrated Git support in MSVS. Is that in the Express version, or only the paid for version? If in the Express version, may I ask where one can look to have it set up?

Incidentally, I agree with Herman - it would be very difficult if the Git support was not restored.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Ters

Who runs the Git everyone is using anyway?

hreintke

James,

I am using git with the express (= free) edition of msvc 2013.

Quote from the site "Note: Visual Studio 2013 includes Git tools by default so these tools are not needed.  Learn more on MSDN: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/hh850437.aspx".

But with git plugin I also used it with msvc 2010.

Herman

Dwachs

Quote from: Ters on March 27, 2014, 05:25:17 PM
Who runs the Git everyone is using anyway?
ansgar / aburch. Will send him a PM / email.

jamespetts

Quote from: Dwachs on March 28, 2014, 06:59:23 AM
ansgar / aburch. Will send him a PM / email.

Did you hear back from Ansgar? I worry somewhat that he is no longer available, as he has not responded to communications that I sent some time ago about the automatic Linux builds for Experimental being down. We might have to look into alternatives for Git hosting.

Ters

It just shows the risk associated with relying on someone outside the project. With Git, as opposed to with Subversion, I think Experimental should have its own Git. It will pull from some official Simutrans Standard repository, be it an official Git mirror or directory from SVN, but not push.

jamespetts

Experimental does have its own Github repository, but relied on Ansgar's Git mirror of Standard for merging, and separately on Ansgar's automatic builds for Linux.

Tron

Dwachs

Would it be possible to magically post-commit from the svn to the github mirror (or a fork thereof)? Ansgar/aburch seems to have disappeared.

Tron

My git mirror is updated automatically after each svn commit. It's a post-commit hook of the svn repository. I cannot update ansgar/aburch's repository, because I do not have access rights for it. What would be the point anyway?

Dwachs

The point is that there is a simutrans fork on github (James Petts' simutrans-experimental) that has its development based on the github mirror aburch/simutrans. I could set up a fork of aburch/simutrans at simutrans/simutrans.

Would it be possible to push per post-commit to such a repository? I do not know if git-svn could handle this automatically.

jamespetts

I have heard back from Bernd Gabriel, who has managed to fork from Tron's Github repository: thank you both to Tron and to Bernd for setting this up. Bernd's own Github mirror is here.

Dwachs

That is nice. Is there any chance to move this repository to the simutrans organization at github? This way it would serve as an official mirror with a nice address.

jamespetts

I do not know about moving it, as it is part of Bernd Gabriel's own mirror, which he uses for his own development work, but perhaps it could be re-mirrored?

Dwachs

ansgar made the mirror working again.

jamespetts

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: Dwachs on April 06, 2014, 02:45:04 PM
anger made the mirror working again.

That's how I misread it, anyway. It's too early in the morning. lol

An_dz

That's what happened Isaac, Dwachs opened git and yelled "WORK!", and it worked.

IgorEliezer

Quote from: An_dz on April 06, 2014, 03:52:43 PM
That's what happened Isaac, Dwachs opened git and yelled "WORK!", and it worked.
As I had read only the Isaac's quote, I had a mental image of a guy yelling "WORK!" at an actual mirror in the bathroom... Science has gone so far......

Miziiik

Tron's new svn repo is ok but I have problems with svn repo on sf.net now. I can't checkout pak128. It says:
svn: E210002: Unable to connect to a repository at URL 'svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/simutrans/code/pak128'
svn: E210002: Network connection closed unexpectedly

and sometimes third line is
svn: E210002: Can't connect to host 'svn.code.sf.net': Connection refused

I have tried it for last three hours... No change...
Is it my fault or have you problems too?
http://msim.8u.cz/ Můj web o hře Simutrans - Moje addons, návody, odkazy, apod.