Author Topic: WIP EMD SD60M  (Read 2600 times)

rc1

WIP EMD SD60M
« on: May 23, 2014, 12:53:31 AM »
I intend to make some American addons for Pak192.comic. I just compiled a preliminary version of an EMD SD60M, a freight locomotive.

This is my first attempt at making an addon, so I welcome any advice or criticism before I finalize it.

Offline Citarofahrer

Re: WIP EMD SD60M
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 01:58:54 AM »
Can you give us a downloadlink?

Offline An_dz

• Web Admin
  • Administrator
  • Helpful: 89
  • D'oh
    • by An_dz
  • Languages: PT, EN, (it, de)
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 04:50:51 AM »
My suggestions are:
1. Read the pak192.comic style guide (it will help you a lot for this and future objects)
2. More definition. It's too blurred.
3. Little brighter colours.

Offline Leartin

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 09:35:58 AM »
Welcome, rc1, it's nice that you chose pak192.comic as your playground.

To be able to show you exactly what's "wrong", I attached an image. It's your train, but I pixeled over it. It's not intended to be finished like that, just a quick job to show you what we understand as a Comic graphic. Of course more details and better Anti-Aliasing is allowed, but "blur" is bad. It's best to restrict yourself to a palette of about 6-8 shades per color. This helps defining a crisp image and allows easy conversion to player color.
That being said, I doubt your train is pixeled in the first place, it looks more like it is rendered. I don't think there is much you can do about it, except pixeling over the whole thing like I did after rendering.

I don't agree with an_dz about the colors, they are fine with me. But since it's blue and yellow, I'd definitly use player colors.

Offline An_dz

• Web Admin
  • Administrator
  • Helpful: 89
  • D'oh
    • by An_dz
  • Languages: PT, EN, (it, de)
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 06:18:44 PM »
You're new "crispy" version has the colours I had in mind. The grey has improved, that made the difference.

rc1

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 06:58:13 PM »
Thank you for the feedback.

Leartin, I understand what you mean about the colour and I think I should be able to improve the faces.

Citarofahrer, I will certainly provide the link after I make the necessary improvements (unless you specifically want this WIP version for some reason).

rc1

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 09:34:14 PM »
I got around to doing some more work on the locomotive. Would you agree that this is closer to the style you were recommending? I also made it smaller in an attempt to make it proportional to the other trains I compared it to, but there was lots of guesswork involved. I think the lighting should now be consistent with a source in the lower left corner.

I'm still not completely satisfied but I think it is improving. Is there anything else that anyone would suggest?