News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Hospital not generating passenger traffic

Started by neil, December 01, 2015, 05:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neil

Returning to Simutrans after a very lonnnnng absence, I'm trying to set up a simulation of the UK's Chiltern Railways lines between London Marylebone and Aylesbury and High Wycombe. I've solved various issues already, mainly by trial-and-error, but this one has me beaten. From "Public Service" I've used the map editor to create a Hospital Tourist attraction (!) which has a displayed Passenger level of 6000 but when I put a bus stop right next to it and run a bus service to a nearby rail / bus interchange station, I don't get any passenger traffic for the bus service. To check that I have everything else correct, I added a Forest / Sawmill industry in the bus stop's coverage area and hey presto, passenger traffic for the bus service.

What am I missing?

I'm using version 120.1.1. with the latest pak128 Britain.

DrSuperGood

Sounds like the attraction is not part of the attraction list or that the area serviced has too few people. Out of generated passengers a certain amount are destined to industry until a threshold is met, after which the rest go to other buildings or attractions.

prissi

If it is a city building outside a city, then there might be less traffic than expected, depending on the size of the city it is associated with.

dannyman

Heya, I just ran a road out to an Abbey outside of town.  The bus / mail vehicles wait and get very few passengers.  When they get back to town, there are passengers waiting to go out to the Abbey.  The Abbey is like the hotel California: visitors can never leave?

Vladki

Perhaps they want to become monks and stay there ;)

DrSuperGood

QuoteHeya, I just ran a road out to an Abbey outside of town.  The bus / mail vehicles wait and get very few passengers.  When they get back to town, there are passengers waiting to go out to the Abbey.  The Abbey is like the hotel California: visitors can never leave?
This is not possible. The abbey generates no traffic but instead it is the houses that generate the traffic. They generate traffic to the abbey and when that happens an equal counter flow is generated from abbey to the house. The traffic is fully symmetric. Exception being mail in which case the abbey, like all attractions and industries, will produce more mail (4 times? I keep forgetting...) than it receives.

Passengers are not tied to actual Simutrans people. It is completely possible to have several orders of magnitude more passengers on the map than there are people on the map. Best example I had was when I was a newbie and messed up my transfer network so that I had stops with over 12,000,000 passengers accumulated in a map with under 1,000,000 people.

dannyman

Aye, I think DrSuperGood put it right.  People seem to be leaving the Abbey now.  I think the first wave of tourists had some prayers they needed to catch up on.

Ters

The return passengers are generated the exact moment the original passengers are. So they would have left the abbey, but not necessarily the stop, before they even arrived in the first place. (Passengers in Simutrans make quantum physics seem like child's play.) It might be that something happened while they were waiting at the stop that caused them to become invalid, such as a temporary lack of connecting lines to destination. I think passengers in vehicles are a bit more tolerant of this, at least when the vehicle they are on is not directly involved.