News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Impossible to make money in pak128

Started by railfan727, November 21, 2010, 11:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Václav

Two minor comments to your experience:

Quote from: humblegar on January 10, 2011, 09:28:06 AM
- Do not be afraid to sell/destroy to make extra profit, or more importantly to cut losses.
By selling of vehicles you make extra profit for only very short time and rarely it can help you for long time - better (but may be very expensive) way is re-building of web - so this is another tip.

- Set autosave to "1"/monthly
This is applicable on small maps and only in the beginning - because as time goes on and transportation is more and more spread, it begins more and more bothering (on slower machines) - so on end it will make you disable autosave.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

humblegar

Quote from: VaclavMacurek on January 10, 2011, 10:45:38 AM
Two minor comments to your experience:
By selling of vehicles you make extra profit for only very short time and rarely it can help you for long time - better (but may be very expensive) way is re-building of web - so this is another tip.
Yes, I'm becoming better at actually reusing vehicles for other lines now. What I meant was for instance rather static infrastructure like coal. If you discover that you have way too much tracks and an one train too much, why not destroy/sell at once and save the maintenance in the long run? After all buying costs seem to come second to maintenance in this game compared to openttd.

This is applicable on small maps and only in the beginning - because as time goes on and transportation is more and more spread, it begins more and more bothering (on slower machines) - so on end it will make you disable autosave.
The autosave is indeed noticeable on the laptop if not on my PC. As long as I can turn it off later I will keep using it as it has saved me endless frustration due to my lack of ability with the autorail tool :p I'm doing a little better now that I turned on the grid and use CTRL.

Antonin

Thanks everyone for so many useful comments.

uktrain

Here I can give you some suggestions:
You can have some bus lines(you don't need to construct roads) have intracity services.
This should give sufficient amount of passengers to make profit.
Then use existing roads to construct a bus line, connecting cities.
This should make you the first bucket of money.

helifino

Quote from: humblegar on January 10, 2011, 12:15:41 PM[autosave] has saved me endless frustration due to my lack of ability with the autorail tool :p I'm doing a little better now that I turned on the grid and use CTRL.
Instead of clicking on each end and hoping for the best, click+drag will show you where the line will go.  You can cancel with 'Esc' (while still holding left-mouse).

Djohaal

The smaller "true" chains (not power plants) are excellent early game money makers. Particulary the textile mill chain and the flour -> bakerty chains.

brentjschaan

SHORT ANSWER:  Rename the simuconf.tab to simuconf.tab.old in the pack file.  This will force it to use the "backup", "default" or "failover" (whatever name you want to call it). simuconf.tab file in the game directory instead.

NOTE:  I have not compared the 2 to see what all is different and I have not played extensively in this manner yet.  I did this, started a new game, made a relatively short coal to coal power run and made $2,000 profit in its first round trip with 2 RVg 0-4-4-0 Engines and 22 coal cars staring in 1940.

I replied to this instead of a new topic as I came across this through a Google search and found a lot of what people were saying was exactly what I felt.  Should anyone else get here and think the same thing but not find an answer to their liking, this may help!  :)

I like all the economics etc. of pak64.  However the graphics in pak128 are much nicer and there is a lot more options for tracks/roads and bridges etc.