Author Topic: All info in signal window  (Read 12099 times)

Offline fam621

Re: All info in signal window
« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2017, 06:43:27 PM »
I simply thought it was incorporated into the pakset (pak128.Britain-Ex) its self.

Offline Ves

« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2017, 05:45:23 PM »
I realized that in some cases the signal state would show as "unknown" instead of the actual state. I investigated a bit and found that a normal permissive three aspect signal would not only use the states "clear=1" and "caution=2" but also "clear_no_choose=5" (and maybe even "caution_no_choose=6"). I just accidentally saw it and it appears to randomly use the .._no_choose state. Is there a reason for this or is it just 'randomnes' in the code? Im not saying it is a problem, I am just curios :)

Here is a correction to it anyway:
https://github.com/VictorErik/Simutrans-Experimental-Ves/commits/signal-in-infowindow-2
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 05:57:41 PM by Ves »

Offline jamespetts

• Simitrans-Extended project coordinator
  • Helpful: 174
  • Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
  • Languages: EN
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2017, 12:15:57 AM »
Splendid, thank you. Now incorporated.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Offline Ves

« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2017, 05:53:17 PM »
Given the resent discussion about wether the signal protects a junction, I thought that would be a nice thing to display in the info window. Partly as a piece of information and also to note to people that it is a thing wether there are any junctions ahead or not.
But I have have a question:
When I specify "if (get_no_junctions_to_next_signal() == false)" and show a text if thats true, the text comes and dissapears occasionally when some trains are reserving the signal. It seems very inconsistent and unreliable, so if there is nothing more I can do, I cannot use the parameter to show the text.

How do that parameter work?

edit:
It seem to depend on wether the head of the train has reserved any junction tiles or is in fact on a junction tile.

Do you think it is possible to find out only wether there actually is a junction ahead?

Offline jamespetts

• Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2017, 07:26:29 PM »
One should be careful about adding UI elements for all internal variables like this: the system was designed to work so that the variable is correct at the moment that it needs to be used, not necessarily at other times. One should be able to tell whether a signal protects a junction without looking in its information window in any event.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Offline Ves

« Reply #110 on: April 29, 2017, 11:33:37 PM »
Ok, I see!

Offline Vladki

« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2017, 10:35:35 AM »
Hi Ves, could you add the number of aspects to the signal info window?

Offline Ves

« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2017, 10:51:40 AM »
I had that under consideration earlier but did not put it there because I couldn't at the time think this part through:

I think it would be disinformative to just show the "aspect" value (that would be 2 for a normal stop signal), because what is an aspect really? Imagine a three aspect permissive signal, it would technically have four aspects: danger, clear, caution and callon. Or a choose signal would have all the alternate route aspects as well. Should those be considered aspects too?
You as an experienced player might know the difference, but new players might not.

What I think you want (and what I also would like) is the pure aspect value but it needs to be presented as to what it actually means and that I have not yet figured out a nice simple  way to do. Do you have any suggestions?

Edit:
What one could do, is to *somewhere* write out all possible aspects the signal could do, ie list them like danger, clear, callon. One could even create a new "details" window, where this information, along with other technical and maybe non essential information like intro and expire dates, upgrade group, signal groups etc which are actually not available for view anywhere in the game.
Downside is that you would then expect to find a similar "details" window on all info windows in the game...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 04:12:52 PM by Ves »

Offline Vladki

« Reply #113 on: May 21, 2017, 04:14:27 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking to show the aspects value from dat file.
Perhaps something like this:

aspects: 2
aspects: 3+callon
aspects: 4+alt. route

Offline Ves

« Reply #114 on: May 21, 2017, 04:18:33 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking to show the aspects value from dat file.
Perhaps something like this:

aspects: 2
aspects: 3+callon
aspects: 4+alt. route

That could actually work! Will think of it!  :)

Offline Ves

« Reply #115 on: May 26, 2017, 09:22:21 PM »

Should also be stackable +Alt. Route+Call on, for when we get choose signals with call on states!

Found here: https://github.com/VictorErik/Simutrans-Experimental-Ves/tree/signal-in-infowindow-2.

Regarding the base translation file, James would you mind to wait a bit to upload it? I have trouble adding new basefiles and make Github recognize the new files. The way I had to do the last time, I had to manually upload the new file in the webbrowser version of Github, then manually sync it down to my computer. A quite heavy process..

Offline fam621

« Reply #116 on: May 26, 2017, 09:26:35 PM »
Whats call on mean?

Offline Ves

« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2017, 09:48:22 PM »
Whats call on mean?
That is the state of a permissive signal, when it is allowing a train to pass it while it is at danger. The train will change working method to drive by sight I believe.

Offline jamespetts

• Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
« Reply #118 on: May 26, 2017, 11:00:32 PM »
May I suggest that the aspects display be made slightly clearer by adding a space around the + sign and not using capitals for things like "alt route"?

As to adding things in Git, all that you need to do is issue the command git add <filename> or git add --all.

Offline Ves

« Reply #119 on: May 29, 2017, 11:44:35 AM »
Ok, I have pushed a new commit! Also, I have made a third text string which will display if signal is both a choose and permissive, although the signal type does not exist yet.

Offline jamespetts

• Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
« Reply #120 on: May 31, 2017, 11:04:05 AM »
Splendid, thank you for that. Apologies for the delay: I have been staying with my parents, so it is not easy to deal with coding matters on my secondary computer, but I have managed to pull your updates and push them to the master branch, so these should be in the next nightly. Thank you again for your work on this.

Offline Vladki

« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2017, 01:13:31 PM »
Thank you for this patch. But there is a minor bug. It shows Aspects: X+alt route for all choose signals, even if they do not have a special aspect for alt route. Similarly all permissive signalls have Aspects X+callon even if they do not have a special call on aspect.

Offline Ves

« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2017, 02:52:05 PM »
My post nr 1000! :)

I did that on purpose, since I think that the status of the signal doesnt care wether there are any extra defined images.
It would be confusing, I believe, if you read that this signal has 2 aspects, you would believe them to be clear and danger, but suddently "clear, alt. route" shows up.
Same with permissive signals, the call on state would show up even if there are no graphics that support the call on state.

Offline Vladki

« Reply #123 on: June 11, 2017, 06:43:37 PM »
But it already says whether it is permissive or choose signal. In my opinion it is confusing if it says that there is a callon / choose aspect and it does not show it, when it should... Can anybody else say what would be more preferable information?

Offline Ves

« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2017, 08:09:55 PM »
Ok, its not good if it is confusing. What do other people think?