Author Topic: Desync issue (devel-new-2) with Linux Server/Windows client  (Read 10036 times)

Offline Vladki

Re: Desync issue (devel-new-2) with Linux Server/Windows client
« Reply #280 on: March 27, 2017, 07:26:05 PM »
I'm afraid that this change (commit 7d09ea4d9d1f18a9f9b237f8a7167259eb8f4c6f) has broken compilation on linux:

Code: [Select]
===> CXX obj/leitung2.cc
g++ -std=gnu++11 -O -DNDEBUG -DMULTI_THREAD -DREVISION="7d09ea4" -Wall -W -Wcast-qual -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -DUSE_C -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -fno-strict-aliasing  -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT -DCOLOUR_DEPTH=16 -c -MMD -o build/default/obj/leitung2.o obj/leitung2.cc
In file included from obj/../vehicle/../boden/grund.h:19:0,
                 from obj/../vehicle/../simplan.h:12,
                 from obj/../vehicle/../simworld.h:34,
                 from obj/../vehicle/simvehicle.h:18,
                 from obj/../vehicle/simroadtraffic.h:15,
                 from obj/../simcity.h:22,
                 from obj/leitung2.h:16,
                 from obj/leitung2.cc:17:
obj/../vehicle/../boden/wege/weg.h:60:41: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type [-Wignored-qualifiers]
  static const uint32 get_all_ways_count();
                                         ^
In file included from obj/leitung2.cc:23:0:
obj/../simfab.h:131:32: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type [-Wignored-qualifiers]
  const sint32 get_in_transit() const { return statistics[0][FAB_GOODS_TRANSIT]; }
                                ^
obj/leitung2.cc:395:44: warning: unused parameter ‘dummy’ [-Wunused-parameter]
 void leitung_t::info(cbuffer_t & buf, bool dummy) const
                                            ^
obj/leitung2.cc: In member function ‘virtual void leitung_t::rdwr(loadsave_t*)’:
obj/leitung2.cc:457:27: error: cast from ‘powernet_t*’ to ‘uint32 {aka unsigned int}’ loses precision [-fpermissive]
   value = (uint32)get_net(); //  This seems to be functionless, but should be preserved for compatibility. It likewise appears functionless in Standard.
                           ^
obj/leitung2.cc: At global scope:
obj/leitung2.cc:687:42: warning: unused parameter ‘dummy’ [-Wunused-parameter]
 void pumpe_t::info(cbuffer_t & buf, bool dummy) const
                                          ^
obj/leitung2.cc:1130:42: warning: unused parameter ‘dummy’ [-Wunused-parameter]
 void senke_t::info(cbuffer_t & buf, bool dummy) const
                                          ^
common.mk:50: návod pro cíl „build/default/obj/leitung2.o“ selhal
make: *** [build/default/obj/leitung2.o] Chyba 1

Online jamespetts

• Simitrans-Extended project coordinator
  • Helpful: 146
  • Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
  • Languages: EN
« Reply #281 on: March 27, 2017, 08:05:44 PM »
Ah - I think that I have pushed what amounts to a fix for this. Would you be able to re-test?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Offline Vladki

« Reply #282 on: March 27, 2017, 10:23:13 PM »
fixed

Online jamespetts

• Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
« Reply #283 on: April 12, 2017, 12:30:00 AM »
Testing again with the latest nightly build from the server, this still stays in sync with identical builds. I have not fully re-tested for synchronisation between different builds, but it is useful to test this periodically just to make sure that nothing has broken network synchronisation in new ways. The problem still seems to be confined to mixing Linux/Windows builds. (I have briefly re-tested with the Bridgewater-Brunel server, and the current nightly MinGW build still desynchronises with that virtually instantly).

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Online jamespetts

• Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
« Reply #284 on: Yesterday at 10:21:00 PM »
I am developing a new method to try to test the cause of this and other desyncs: I have just pushed a change to the code in which, if the preprocessor directive DISABLE_RANDOMNESS is defined, the random number generator will always simply return half of the maximum value, and the function for getting the random number generator seed will always return 1. I am in the process of rebuilding the Bridgewater-Brunel server with this option enabled. This means that it will not stay in sync with any normal client, but should be able to stay in sync with a client compiled with DISABLE_RANDOMNESS.

When a client with DISABLE_RANDOMNESS connects with the server, it should be possible to see in the game itself where the desyncs arise without this affecting lots of other unconnected areas of the game at random by changing the random number generator seed. Also, because the random number generator seed is fixed, the client should not be kicked from the game unless and until a more major difference (such as in the number of convoys) emerges. This system is intended just for testing (it would be no good in a real game, as there would be no randomness), but it should help to highlight where the problems are.

It would be very helpful if anyone with the ability to compile the game were to connect to the Bridgewater-Brunel server with a build with DISABLE_RANDOMNESS compiled with two separate clients (both built with DISABLE_RANDOMNESS) to try to spot how, if at all, they diverge from one another. It might be hard to spot, as the game currently running on the server is a big map; if anyone can find a smaller, simpler map which will reliably desync with a normal build between Windows and Linux, it would be helpful to use that for testing, too.

Thank you all in advance for any help with this: it would be much appreciated.

Edit: Having now tested this briefly, the special DISABLE_RANDOMNESS build does appear to stay in sync, as expected. Any help in tracking down actual divergence would be very much appreciated.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:39:39 PM by jamespetts »

Offline prissi

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Helpful: 226
  • Languages: De,EN,JP
« Reply #285 on: Yesterday at 11:36:32 PM »
The random number seed is not used in simutrans at all (unless experiemtnal added some code using it). The internal random generator uses the Mersenne Twister alogrithm and is seeded with a complex seed depending on the time in ms since 1970 and some mathematical operations.

If the differences are really compiler/machine dependent, then it may be quite well the rounding of a float/double to an integer, which can give different results on different compilers and machines.

Online jamespetts

• Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
« Reply #286 on: Yesterday at 11:41:42 PM »
Is it not the random seed that is checked between server and client to test for a mismatch?

As to the floating point thing, this was a problem a long time ago, but all the floating point arithmetic other than in the GUI was removed circa 2011/2012 to solve this problem, and no further floating point arithmetic has been added since, so I do not think that it is this. Bernd Gabriel even wrote an elaborate class to simulate floating point arithmetic using integers to get around this.

Offline Vladki

« Reply #287 on: Yesterday at 11:56:21 PM »
I have restarted all instances at server.exp.simutrans com to commit 58181b37d85561c.... and DISABLE_RANDOMNESS.
However I had desync with both British pak games after 5-10 minutes. Pak sweden seems to be stable.
You are welcome to test them.

Online jamespetts

• Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
« Reply #288 on: Today at 12:51:34 AM »
I have restarted all instances at server.exp.simutrans com to commit 58181b37d85561c.... and DISABLE_RANDOMNESS.
However I had desync with both British pak games after 5-10 minutes. Pak sweden seems to be stable.
You are welcome to test them.

Thank you - can you see if you can capture and post the debug output from the desync that you get? That would be most helpful.