News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Hilly maps

Started by fam621, January 29, 2017, 11:55:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fam621

James, maps are hillier than before and I cant fix it back to how it was before.

jamespetts

This is rather unclear, I am afraid. Exactly when was "before"?

Edit: Also, I cannot reproduce any unusually hilly maps. Can you let me know what your climate settings are and show me what sort of maps that you are getting from those settings?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

fam621

Details in the picture.

jamespetts

This only gives the climate altitudes: none of these settings affect how hilly that a map will be. I was referring to the "climate settings" dialogue that you can summon from the create new world dialogue, which has mountain height and map roughness options.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

AP

The terrain type settings pictured are duplicated in that "climate settings" dialogue, but in the latter there are additional settings also.

jamespetts

I still need to see what the settings are and what sort of map that they produce before I can have an idea of whether what is reported differs from what I can reproduce and/or differs from what is intended behaviour.

fam621

Details in the picture below and sorry for uploading the wrong thing. I thought that was the settings at first! BTW: These are currant settings.

jamespetts

And what do the maps that you generate with these settings look like such that you think that they are too hilly?

fam621

the one which has 0 was originally 100.

jamespetts

I do not follow, I am afraid. My question was what the map looks like such that you are saying that it is too hilly.

IgorEliezer

fam, could you please write in details what is happening and how to reproduce the bug step-by-step in one post? Otherwise our developers will spend more time trying to figure out what bug is than to fix the bug itself.

Simply "my car is broken, fix it" and other one-line posts will not help much. Thank you. :)

jamespetts

I should also add that if I ask you a number of questions to try to understand your bug report, you will need to answer all of them, not just one or some of them for me to be able to try to fix whatever problem that there might be.

fam621

James, when I try to make new maps, they maps when they are generated are hilly and not flat like in previous versions of Simutrans (Extended) Experimental.

Ves

If the map is too hilly you think, unstick "Hilly landscape" (if it is ticked) and set "map roughness" and "mountain height" to a lower value.

fam621

I am sending you a map I want to work on which is too high even though when I download it it says (flat). Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bzy63vjRdV2_Y2xwWjlFSjZEX00.

Ves

Fam, if you download a map, you can still adjust those settings (if I'm not mistaken).
Another setting I forgot to mention is the "water level" try increase that as well.
I can't take a look at anything at the moment, and to be honest, I don't think James has done anything in this area of the code recently.

jamespetts

I am afraid that I cannot debug an issue relating to the hilliness of maps from a map that has already been generated, as there is nothing inherently wrong with a map being hilly. There would only be something wrong if the exact climate settings used to generate the map produced a map inconsistent with those settings.

Is this actually a continuation of the earlier report (i.e. is the map that you have now uploaded one generated with the exact settings shown in the earlier screenshot)?

fam621

I dont like hilly maps. I feel like, I cant build railways/roads on hilly maps. :[

Vladki

Come on, that's part of the challenge. Think of building railways across the Alps. ;)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

jamespetts

I am afraid that I cannot even begin to understand whether this is a problem, let alone fix it if it is, if you do not directly answer the specific questions that I ask to try to understand the position.

In order to understand this, I need to see (1) a screenshot of your map generation and climate settings; and (2) a map generated from those exact settings. You have provided a screenshot and a map, but I have no idea whether they are in any way related to one another, and thus cannot make any use out of either of them.

In any event, looking at the map that you uploaded above, it is not remotely hilly: it is indeed really rather flat. Also, you have evidently loaded the map from a heightmap rather than generating it randomly, which means that the gradation of the map will be based on the heightmap, not the settings.

If you really want to flatten the heightmap, you could try manipulating the image in the GIMP (e.g. reducing the contrast), but I have no idea whether that would work (and cannot provide ongoing support for the details of how to do it or what to do if it does not work to your satisfaction).

Junna

I believe the heightmap being of pre-doubleslope days nature is what fam's issue was all along. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any easy solution to it. I wish Simutrans had the kind of easy and straightforward heightmap importation of OpenTTD, where it could adapt straight from grey-scale elevation imagery png files.

fam621