Author Topic: How to know if a line is profitable before starting it  (Read 476 times)

Offline accord2

How to know if a line is profitable before starting it
« on: February 16, 2017, 09:43:22 PM »
Is there a way to know if a line is profitable before starting it? I am playing in 1750 and I find most cargo lines are not profitable: or the distance is too much, or it transports a small amount of cargo, etc. Is there a way of calculating the profitability? How you do it? I just end spending money that could be used in more important things  :-[

Offline jamespetts

• Simitrans-Extended project coordinator
  • Helpful: 148
  • Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
  • Languages: EN
Re: How to know if a line is profitable before starting it
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 09:47:34 PM »
Sorry that you are having trouble. Part of the issue is that the pakset has never been balanced properly; this is because balancing is a very, very large job and proper balance requires a number of additional game features, some of which would also be a very large job, and there are a number of other things (such as fixing bugs) that need to be done before I can implement the features necessary to begin work on balancing.

However, to answer your original question, there is no certain way of knowing whether any given line will be profitable in advance, just as there is no certain way of knowing in real life whether any new business will be profitable. When the pakset is balanced, however, which lines are profitable should be very similar to what the position would be if these were real transport undertakings of a similar nature.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Offline accord2

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 09:54:26 PM »
I see, I was thinking if there was a way of making mathematics with the distance and the cargo price. Do you plan to add a new feature about this? Anyway, great game!

Offline jamespetts

• Simitrans-Extended project coordinator
  • Helpful: 148
  • Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
  • Languages: EN
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 09:58:52 PM »
I see, I was thinking if there was a way of making mathematics with the distance and the cargo price. Do you plan to add a new feature about this?

It is difficult to see how such a feature would work given the very great complexity of the game (current and planned), including things like how much that vehicles wear the ways, the cost of the ways, inflation (a future feature), the different maintenance cost of a vehicle over its lifetime (a future feature), the possibility for back-loading on a goods route, and so forth. This complexity, of course, is identical to that in reality, so the relative uncertainty as to profitability is realistic.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.