News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Changes to interaction of land raising/lowering and water

Started by Leartin, March 14, 2017, 06:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leartin

Due the recent question in the help center: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=16850.msg160404

I think the interaction of raising/lowering land and water is very counter-intuitive, so I'd like to propose a change.

Currently, if you have a raised shore and lower it, it becomes water. If you have a flat shore and lower it, it becomes a hole in the ground, creating land around it.
This is probably based on the older behaviour, were we had an ocean level and all land lowered to that level became water.

With the new landscape, it would be more intuitive if lowering a raised shore leads to a flat shore, and lowering a flat shore leads to water; and you could only create land from water by raising it.

Ichou

I think your idea is generally good but there are two points to make clear.

Where is the flat "shore", and where isn't?

If we want to make an artificial island and want it to have a below-sea-level area, will we have to make such a thing?

Vladki

As I see it the first picture has  flat shore all around the island, while the other one has none.

Imho only lowering flat shore should result in flooding. So if you dig in the middle of the flat island you should get a dry hole.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Leartin

Simply speaking: Lowering land should not cause water to turn into land. So all actions which currently do so should instead cause the four tiles surrounding the lowered node to become water. Therefore it would affect all nodes bordering water, or bordering a node that borders water.

If implemented, you could still have flat islands with lowered area in the middle, as long as they are at least 4*4 tiles.

Ichou

Thank you for your reply.

QuoteSimply speaking: Lowering land should not cause water to turn into land. So all actions which currently do so should instead cause the four tiles surrounding the lowered node to become water. Therefore it would affect all nodes bordering water, or bordering a node that borders water.If implemented, you could still have flat islands with lowered area in the middle, as long as they are at least 4*4 tiles.
That sounds intuitive and easy to play! I agree with this idea and have nothing to complain about.