News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

[New release] Simutrans-Experimental 3.6

Started by jamespetts, May 09, 2009, 03:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

The latest version of Simutrans-Experimental has just been released, with a number of bug fixes and optimisations. As ever, thanks to all those who have helped to test Simutrans-Experimental and find problems. See here for information on how to get Simutrans-Experimental 3.6.

Changes

• CHANGE: Optimised passenger search for starting stops
  • FIX: Possible issues playing very long games
  • CHANGE: Added references to people who have helped with Simutrans-Experimental, and the creators of Pak128.Britain and Pak192.Comic to the credits
  • FIX: Possible freeze (infinite loop) when a convoy had a public player halt in its schedule.
  • FIX: Default waiting times not set properly (Knightly)
  • FIX: Inefficient code when testing waiting times (Knightly).
  • FIX: Waiting times not calculated accurately in certain instances (Knightly).

Testing and feedback

As ever, feedback is very much welcomed, in particular, bug reports, information as to how Simutrans-Experimental performs on various systems, and discussion as to how the new features in Simutrans-Experimental affect game play and strategy. Thank you again for all the testing - happy experimenting!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

tuxedohamm

I just attempted to get the experimental version because it looks interesting.  I recieved the error  "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.  Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

I have tried redownloading everything needed (standard pak, exe. experimental exe, configs.).  Both sdl and gdl exe's of the standard version work fine for me.

Any suggestions?

jamespetts

Tudedohamm,

welcome to the Simutrans forums, and thank you for trying Simutrans-Experimental! The problem that you are getting is a .dll dependency error in Windows XP. Try downloading this package and see whether that makes things any better for you.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

tuxedohamm

jamespetts

You're very welcome :-) I hope that you enjoy playing - do let me know what you think :-)

Colin

Hi James,

If you haven't already done so could you please give, what in your estimation, are the optimal configuration settings of the Config to enable a profitable game to proceed.

The reason I ask is because there would be many users of Simutrans like me (I hope I'm not the only dense one) who would not be able to grasp the fundamentals. If you could give a basic suggestion I'm sure it would be appreciated and then I/we could work from them. I don't mean, how they work, but a suggestion of a working set up.

Best Regards

Colin
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

jamespetts

Colin,

there are a set of configuration files that you can download, here.

Colin

Quote from: jamespetts on May 10, 2009, 10:24:50 AM
Colin,

there are a set of configuration files that you can download, here.

Hi James,

You misunderstood what I wanted, I meant the settings actually in the  simuconfi.tab.

Sorry for not making myself clear.

Best Regards

Colin
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

jamespetts

In which case, I'm still not understanding, I'm sorry. You asked for the optimal settings - without having done extensive testing of different settings, the settings that I believe, on the information that I have, are probably optimum, are already in the Simutrans-Experimental configuration files to which I referred.

Colin

Quote from: jamespetts on May 11, 2009, 06:15:10 AM
In which case, I'm still not understanding, I'm sorry. You asked for the optimal settings - without having done extensive testing of different settings, the settings that I believe, on the information that I have, are probably optimum, are already in the Simutrans-Experimental configuration files to which I referred.

OK so if I understand correctly, the long list of settings in the simuconf.tab are the optimal settings? So I can adjust them up and down to see what is effected and by how much?

Many thanks for your patience with me on this.

Best Regards

Colin

Thought for the day

jamespetts

Colin,

they are not necessarily optimal - what is optimal will depend on the pakset and one's playing preferences. Also, the settings have not been tested extensively, so other settings may be found, after testing, to work better. Nonetheless, the settings in the supplied configuration files are intended to be as close to a generalised optimum as I could get when first programming the individual features. I should certainly appreciate any testing of the various settings to show what really is optimum.

Thank you for your continued interest in Simutrans-Experimental,

James