News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Tips

Started by Anime, October 13, 2009, 01:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anime

I'm having some trouble with setting up big networks (600*600 map ; 24-26 vills).
I need some tips on... actually everything. If you 've got some tips that you want to share with me, be free to :)

Anime

Combuijs

Well, there is no one way to do it. There are several options.

1) Make one big circular network connecting all cities (two lines, one clockwise, the other counterclockwise). Once you get in capacity problems (that might be very early!) you can make a big inner circle of key cities (say 5). These key cities themselves should be part of a regional circle connecting 4 or 5 other cities nearby. On local level (within a city) you can repeat this system.

2) Make a hub and spoke system. Choose 1 main city. Make direct lines to 4 or 5 other key cities (so 4 or 5 lines, all of the "Bilbo"-type: there and back again). Repeat the system for each key city and 4 or 5 cities in the neighborhood. Finally repeat the system locally in the cities when necessary.

Build every hub station outside the city. If its capacity is not sufficient, it will then not hamper city growth.

Combinations of both are possible (on "national" level a hub and spoke system, on "local" level a ring).

Advantages of a ring system: very profitable (with default income settings...), needs less infrastructure
Disadvantages: You need an awful lot of capacity.

Advantages of hub and spoke system: Easy to add capacity where necessary
Disadvantages: needs more infrastructure.

So your main goal should be flexibility. Switch from one system to another if necessary.

Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Anime

Okay. And how do I know if I should use cars of trains (f.e in this savegame : )

Combuijs

Have pity on an old man's eyes  ;) . Your overview map is not clear enough to see all cities.

Anyway, I see you are using pak128.

I usually start with cars for passengers and mail. When a line needs more than 8 cars to transport all passengers (mail) I switch to trains. They are usually profitable then. You will find that you need trains quite early for key passenger lines, but that mail can be transported by car for a reasonable time.

By the way, I play usually from the 1980s, things might be different in early years, but I don't think so, as they are balanced in more or less the same way. I use the Shinkansen trains (280 km/h) for passengers and the Haru's for mail (280 km/h) on the same line. In 2005 I switched to Gauthier's maglevs (add-on) for my busiest passengers line, with success so far.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Anime

Thanks, I'll have a look and I'll come back to it when I've tested some stuff.