News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

V100.0: Slow performance

Started by oybon, September 13, 2008, 12:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oybon

Hi

I am getting very skow performance an occasional random crashes.

I want to check the performance (4 - 5 fps with stalls) is normal before I invstigate he crashes.

This occurs across both my core 2 based xp pro machines.

Latests Stable and Pak 64

Ta

DirrrtyDirk

Known bug for v100.0 - try a nighly version instead.

And that double post - pushing with just a "." 10 minutes after was simply unnecessary!

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

oybon

The double posting was an accident and there is no delete post button. The . is as there is no way to post an empty post after editing out contents.

Still not geting brilliant performance, but better with nightly build. The process as a whole seems to only use a minute % of available processor power though (3-5% if left alone).

IgorEliezer

Quote from: oybon on September 13, 2008, 02:12:59 PM
The double posting was an accident and there is no delete post button. The . is as there is no way to post an empty post after editing out contents.

I've just removed your post. Please, upon posting, take care next time.  :)

Regular members are not able to remove their own posts for security reasons and for avoiding abuses.

wernieman

What is your System (Windows, Linux, SDL, .....)
Do you play with Musik?
I hope you understand my English

whoami

Quote from: oybon on September 13, 2008, 02:12:59 PM
Still not geting brilliant performance, but better with nightly build.
The performance depends very much on the size of the map, the number of schedule entries and moving objects, the screen resolution... In case of an on-board graphics adapter with shared memory, it may have rather limited performance, so reducing the screen dimensions may help. The 16-bit colour depth display modes (that ST uses) may be less optimized than the 32-bit ones.

One real performance killer (on some PCs) is the water animation. Set parameter water_animation_ms to 0 in the config file (simuconf.tab) to disable that.

From my experience (not from recent versions though), setting the refresh interval (parameter frames_per_second) to a lower value (e.g. 15) helps much for overloaded CPUs.
In display options and the config file, you can change some more settings to reduce CPU usage a little (e.g. disable display of pedestrians). The autosaving function can cause delays (only at switching to the next month).

QuoteThe process as a whole seems to only use a minute % of available processor power though (3-5% if left alone).
I've seen that happen, too. One possible explanation is that the peak CPU usage is very high, but also very short, so any monitoring program won't catch that properly, unless configured for fine time resolution.

(EDIT: topic title adjusted)