News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Cargo types for planes

Started by Zeno, September 14, 2008, 04:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno

As I will need some cargo planes to complete my plane pak for pak128, I was wondering (as I haven't seen similar questions in denied requests nor the "never will hapen" topic) if it could be possible to have multiple categories of cargo on same vehicle. I can find only application to planes, because IRL is the same plane used for refrigerated, goods, mail, etc., but I have to code them as if they were different planes (one for each category). It could be great to allow multiple categories of cargo for the same plane (even if I had to select one in the purchase moment), because I would not have 4 planes wich are identical side by side upfilling my air depot...
This is more a discussion than a request, because I'd like to know other ways to see this, and how other people like or not having three or four identical models of each cargo plane in depot. I personally don't like it at all... but I can live with it  ::)
I don't know how difficult to implement it would be to allow different cargo types for a plane (specifying them at DAT coding), but I don't know which difficulties it would represent; so some expert's opinion would be fine here  :P

prissi

Currently it is not possible to have more than one cargo type. However, you may have insible planes trayling with the other cargoes.

Zeno

Quote from: prissi on September 14, 2008, 07:00:14 PM
However, you may have insible planes trayling with the other cargoes.
Can you explain this, please? I don't get a word :-[

prissi

Well, you can end a mandantory trailer (Contrain[next]=postflug

and so on, up to three trailer. If mandantory, they will all be bought together. I think pak128 did this for a ship or so, or was it pak.abo?

Frank

Quote from: prissi on September 14, 2008, 07:08:53 PM
Well, you can end a mandantory trailer (Contrain[next]=postflug

this is not possible for planes; planes is single vehicle

or changed this in last versions?

EDIT
not work in r2021

PatrickN

Pak128 has an envelope trailer that can be attached to a ship to represent carrying passengers and mail.  Future.pak had a large saucer ship that could have multiple "pods" to carry various goods.  The pods were made as a single dot that was the same color as the ship because (at least back then) a vehicle had to have at least one pixel to work.  You didn't actually see the pod, but the goods it could carry were listed. 

I was thinking that planes can have "trailers", but I don't remember for sure.

Painter, in and out of retirement.

VS

@Zeno - think of the plane as a truck with no capacity, with a few trailers for the selected goods. But when you make the trailer invisible, or just icon... look at the "envelope" in 128's ships, it works exactly that way.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Zeno

Quote from: VS on September 14, 2008, 07:56:28 PM
@Zeno - think of the plane as a truck with no capacity, with a few trailers for the selected goods. But when you make the trailer invisible, or just icon... look at the "envelope" in 128's ships, it works exactly that way.
Sure. Now I understand what you mean. Anyway, I don't think it's a good solution for planes, as each model has different capacities, so I think all it would be a little confusing.

In short term I will keep my current strategy: use same graphics for mail, cool and goods; the only bad thing is you have to look for the cargo because the planes are identical. The problem is "only" annoying, but not critical as I don't plan to make planes to transport any other cargos.

Edit: Nonsense. I differ them by the name (C=Cool, F=Freight, P=Post). The bad thing is you see 3 planes identical together in the depot.