News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Tutorial scenario

Started by DaiStation, June 05, 2010, 05:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaiStation

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, whether it's even possible, or indeed if this is the right place to suggest it, but how about a scenario that sets various targets to demonstrate how to play?

gauthier

it needs a lot of work for devloppers ... written tutorials are already avaible, aren't they ?

DaiStation

They are, but they don't always cover the "ins and outs" thoroughly. I'm still not much the wiser about signalling, for example, because I don't understand in which situations I should use which signals and why, but if I had played a scenario which led me through it, I'd probably find it easier. It might have something to do with the way people learn, too - I'm more of a "learning by doing" person, other people can learn easily from books.

VS

An interactive "tutorial" that guides player through basics of the whole game is inherently hard. Why:
1) different icons and names of similar things in various paksets - might need custom tutorial for each pakset
2) reactions to player input - needs a whole new layer of code that gives the senario "feedback" from game

So... I guess not easy to do, at all. And thus not going to happen anytime soon (~years). But it's still a very good idea. And there is some interest in making Simturans capable of what this needs, so there is also some hope... at least for future generations :P

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

gauthier

When I finish addon making tutorial on the SNFOS website, I'll probably make a playing tutorial.