News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Color chooser text runs into color selection.

Started by Spike, January 26, 2012, 10:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike

The color chooser text runs into color selection. New players must think we are a fairly sloppy bunch of developers not to care about such easy things  ???

And I assume particularly new players will want to try a few colors.

Found in Simutrans 111.1

TurfIt

Another bad string from the translator... Would be nice if those doing the translation would take care to ensure the words fit in the space provided.

VS

In Translator, there is no indication how much space is available, and seemingly arbitrary line breaks are no help in deciding where they should go. It might be better to let the game wrap text itself.

Actually, I'll vent it here: the "original texts" from game like chk_filter etc. are total ****, these should be english strings.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Dwachs

Quote from: VS on January 27, 2012, 08:44:42 AM
Actually, I'll vent it here: the "original texts" from game like chk_filter etc. are total ****, these should be english strings.
:D still better than "1WORLD_CHOOSE" :P
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Spike

Quote from: Dwachs on January 27, 2012, 09:33:33 AM
:D still better than "1WORLD_CHOOSE" :P

Well these were chosen to have an simple hash function (only first two characters being used) and still get a somewhat equal distribution into the has bags. Someone replaced my hash function by a slower one, and since then the trick to use sepcial characters at front to sort into many hash bags became meaningless. But it made sense at the time when it was invented.

And VS is right: Since the translator gives no indication about available space, people cannot enter good formatting there. One more reason why I think the translator is bad.

VS

IMO the bad part is that nobody bothers checking the result of their editing against "live" game.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Spike

Quote from: VS on January 27, 2012, 02:56:12 PM
IMO the bad part is that nobody bothers checking the result of their editing against "live" game.

That's much easier if you edit the text file in the Simutrans directory. I consider this ease of checking important. So I do my editing there. Such obstacles make people, particularly volunteers, just not do it.

prissi

At the beginning, of course there is a need to see what is there at all ...

An_dz

I'm creating a translation file explaining where the strings are. For now I'm 50% done. When I get something like 80% I'll post here and start updating as you can help me find them.
It's quite a boring job, explain where are almost 1000 strings is quite difficult, but I still remember most of them when I translated it. Every string have it's own number and now I'm somewhere near 900 and counting.

I think this will help find the strings for better translations.

prissi

The problem is often, that things evolve during time and the translations do not.