News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Farnham (Pak128.Britain)

Started by isidoro, April 01, 2012, 09:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isidoro

Since one of the rules of SMSC contests is that only one picture per user is allowed and I prepared two for this month's edition, I would like to share with you the other one: the city of Farnham.  It belongs to the same map that the one I posted (http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=9672.msg90756;topicseen#msg90756), but was taken somewhat earlier to keep the restriction of population less than 2000 inhabitants.

Farnham is located on the east frontier of Thyrgland and, since ancient times, it was a defensive fortification against the dangerous and brave Men of The East.  Long time ago, it was encircled by a tall City Wall, of which only three of the four parts survive today.  In the corners of the Wall, there are three huge towers, a defensive last resort, and a church, which was itself part of the Wall.

The City Cemetery is outside, by the south east wall.  There you can find the rests of past time heroes of Thyrgland.  There is also the old Cemetery, near the present-day City Hall, only as an attraction for tourists, since no more people is buried there and the bones of the old ones were moved to the new premises.

And finally, nobody knows(*) what a modern airport and airplane are doing there, in that time.  It remains a mystery.  Thyrgland is a place of magic...  Although some scholars say that the explanation is clear: Thyrgland was visited by extraterrestrial alien life forms and left them there time ago.

isidoro

Thanks.  It happened that Farnham is very near the edge of the map and, seeing the walls available in Pak128.Britain, I thought, let's build them to stop the city growing in that direction.  But I didn't like the effect on the corners.  But I saw those beautiful towers and put them there...

But the merit must go to the author(s) of the pak.  It's really beautiful.

Roads

Some creative and very nice work here, Isidoro.  The walls are great, the towers are wonderful.  Very good save on the timeline thingy! :)

The Hood

Quote from: isidoro on April 09, 2012, 12:21:25 PM
Thanks.  It happened that Farnham is very near the edge of the map and, seeing the walls available in Pak128.Britain, I thought, let's build them to stop the city growing in that direction.  But I didn't like the effect on the corners.  But I saw those beautiful towers and put them there...

But the merit must go to the author(s) of the pak.  It's really beautiful.

If you wanted to build more "freestyle" city walls you could take the graphics and code the wall and turret sections each as separate 1x1 attractions and then place these using the map editor - you can build some nice effects...

Roads

There's a map editor?  You are talking about something besides the Public Service icon?

The Hood

Public service icon allows you to place buildings, increase cities, add rivers, etc., which sounds like a map editor to me. That's what I use it for at any rate...

Roads

Me too.  Just wanted to make sure there weren't some editor I didn't know about.  Also you have made me think about the possibility of adding things from other packages by making an addon and then dropping them in with the editor.  Any reason this would not work?

fam621

May I have a copy of this please? :)

wlindley

I drew the city walls and church/castle components, specifically to assemble them with the .dat files.  For example: The wall image pieces are actually "larger" than one tile, to make them work with the corner towers. I still hope this unitized (Lego/IKEA) style of pak assembly becomes more common. But yes you can define your own *.dat files and use the existing pieces to build much larger or more complex "buildings."

fam621