Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
Extension Requests / Re: Annex - "Fields" as buildings.
« Last post by Leartin on Today at 12:15:15 PM »
Another benefit is that the same factory buildings can be surrounded by different "fields" of stacks-of-goods as the timeline progresses, as with an automobile factory whose "fields" of cars can now remain somewhat consistent with the current-year's citycars.
Especially if combined with this other request, yes: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=17304.0

Though in both cases, factories need a lot of extra code for implementation. While for pretty much everything else it would be satisficial if the result were seperate buildings, same as if they were placed/replaced by a player, in the case of factories they need to combine under the same unchanged "factory"-umbrella. Such an umbrella could not be tied to the main building (because of replacement issues), but would be it's own entity which can exist without body (buildings).
Except for a lot of code to be written, this would mean:
  • It would be possible to move a factory from one place on the map somewhere else, without having to re-contract everything.
  • Instead of multiple factories that do the same thing (eg. oil field and oil platform) you could instead define one oil-factory that does both, depending on location.
  • the player-color-system could be reused for factory colors. Each factory comes with two colors at random, all factory buildings follow suit.
  • You could not delete a factory by deleting it's buildings, since you would need to destroy the umbrella-entity. Since the player is not allowed to destroy industrial buildings anyway, this is only relevant for the public hand. Plus, it means that if all buildings of a factory get destroyed, you could make it pop up somewhere else automatically.

But this is the kind of thing I'd like to avoid as the main request, since it would make everything terribly complicated, especially since it also needs to be backward compatible. Spawning another Building however should be 'rather' easy in comparison, since it's just triggering a function that already exists.
To start up service, Diderbourne transport negotiates with the shire council and gets them to agree building a road from the cattle farm near Winmouth, via the slaughterhouse in Diderbourne to the Market in Peringhill. They build a coaching stable in Diderbourne and set up services with a single livestock drover* for the livestock and 10 pony-drawn carts for the meat.

As it turns out, the ponies need intermediate stops to reach the market. The council agrees to place staging posts in the intermediate hamlets of Wallingfield and Kisham, but on the condition that as soon as company finances allow, mail services will be opened.

*The Livestock drover is a very economic start in this early game. Its running costs are a mere .01 per kilometer, for which it can bring 35 units of livestock.

A map of the services

At the end of the year, profits aren't stellar, but the company is financially healthy.

The company balance at the start of 1751

However, in 1751, the council notices that the promised mail services was not opened. Given that Diderbourne Transport is making a profit, they threaten to close down the company if it is not opened, and no protest that there is not enough demand to make such a service worthwhile helps. They also demand that the hamlets of Winmouth and Barken, on the route to the farm,  where they also opened staging posts, are serviced as well. Thus a post boy is hired. This naturally means a hit on the finances, but fortunately at the end of the year, the company is still healthy.

The company balance and the loss of the mail service at the end of 1751. It only serviced a mere 16 bags of mail.
Pak128.Britain-Ex Bug Reports / Re: market meat
« Last post by kittens45 on Today at 12:07:17 PM »
As promised in the Simutrans Extended Board, an AAR to show some pre-rail gameplay. There will also be some roleplaying elements in the game.

Peringhillshire in the 1750s was a poor backwater region of the United Kingdom. The 6936 inhabitants were scattered among 42 hamlets and villages, while the market at Peringhill with its supporting food production provided the only commerce in the region.

In this area, The small company of Diderbourne Transport Services was founded. The budget was low to say the least: 5000, enough for a coaching stable and some road vehicles to start with, but not much else.

The map of the region. At the bottom the starting budget is shown.

The Town List

The Industry List

Technical Documentation / Re: Highlight tiles
« Last post by hreintke on Today at 10:23:37 AM »
Thanks,

Exactly what I was looking for.
Simutrans Extended Discussion / Re: How To Make Profit in 1750?
« Last post by killwater on Today at 09:19:24 AM »
I want to add something to point 2. I think land cost is the problem. It will sometimes cost you 30000 to connect one small industry even with the most basic road. Making it rail is not much more costly as the land is so expensive. Industries should be either spawned by the road or a basic one should be built to connect it to the network automatically. It makes no sense to have an industry in a middle of nowhere without even basic road connection. Unless it is nearby a navigable water.
It took me some time to figure this out, but there are several tips to make a decent profit in the pre-rail period, at least with freight.

1. I don't know why, but I get better results with small vehicles than larger ones if the difference in cost per unit isn't too great. Especially when the line is running at a slight loss (which I sometimes accept as subsidiary to a highly profitable route, like meat to livestock). Though technically the cost per unit should be less for a pair of Irish Draught horses with a meat stage wagon than a single pony, I do in fact get better results for the latter.

2. Use the public service player! I know this is considered cheating, but in Extended you actually pay for the use of  roads and rails. With the low capacity routes you can't always afford owning your own infrastructure, renting it is cheaper.

3. Keep a close eye on the Revenue of Goods. High-Revenue goods may give you just the break you need to get a profit.

4. Wagonways and canals have a far better capacity/running costs ratio than any road vehicle. I put starting money so low I can't afford a rail depot or shipyard to keep things challenging, but a single Irish Draught horse with 3 food cars on rails has a running cost per crate of 1.66/km and 2.66/month! That's just a third of a pony: 5.5/km and 9/month,

I'll see if I can make an ongoing story for illustration.
Simutrans Extended Discussion / Re: Portals
« Last post by zook2 on Today at 05:04:39 AM »
On a large map, a destination would have to be extremely far away for the optimum departure tile to be identical from all origin points. Given that it should be possible for foreign destinations to be as close as 100km away (the distance between Dover and Calais is only 33km), this does not seem feasible.

Store the compass direction for each distant city (only required for the first city in each branch, like New York in my above example map). Then divide each map edge (e.g. west) into four quarters to get three equidistant portals to New York. Assume that the distance to NY is 3000km for all of them, but note that it now makes a difference which portal you send the plane to. Also, the number of portals could depend on map size.

You could have more than one city branch for each map edge. For example, NY could be North-West at a distance of 3000km, Havana could be South-West, and Baltimore could be West. Then you could simply rule that the northernmost portal is only 2800km from NY, the middle one 3000km, and the southern portal 3200km (see the attached image).

If you're a stickler for correctness then calculate the distances. You know the length of the map edge, the compass direction to NY and the distance to New York. Just apply some fancy trigonometry functions.

Now if you look at the image, you'll see that we have three western portals, two of which are land-locked, and we only allow ships and planes to leave the map. That gives us two air-travel-only portals. What if our game map has no water on the western map edge? Do we allow ships to travel via a portal on the southern map edge to go to NY (with an arbitrary distance penalty)?
Simutrans Extended Discussion / Re: Portals
« Last post by zook2 on Today at 04:20:21 AM »
I assumed the tree would be randomized; note that I pulled the distances out of my made up the distances. But I guess there's no reason why one couldn't load an XML file with a pre-made city list instead of random generation at startup.
Pak128.Britain-Ex Bug Reports / Re: market meat
« Last post by kittens45 on Today at 04:02:27 AM »
no
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10