News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

[req] Seperate Chat and Messages windows

Started by benjad, December 29, 2016, 03:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benjad

Hi all.  I see there are a few other extension requests related to chat.  Just visited an online game.  Hit the chat to see what the discussions were.  Found none, but lots of signs at the world starting point. 

I think the truth is the chat is the most useful of messages, but is buried by other messages (overcrowded -- which is expected at hubs, stuck-- which is expected when industries are balancing).  Yes, you can filter in messages, but I don't think that makes it more useful.

I would propose that chat is broken out into a new dialog box.  Possibly with future improvement of UTC timestamp of when a message was sent, and indicator of unread messages for players, etc.  Obviously chat has no use in single player games, so maybe not available there. 

I do think this is important enough to be a top menu item.  But it is different from "game generated" messages, which too many times can be safely ignored. 

DrSuperGood

The general approach to chat in multiplayer games is enter/return brings up a write out field and closes that field, sending its contents if it contains any characters.

I doubt it will make much of a difference though. I believe most people do not chat because they are of different languages rather than not knowing how to.

River

what would be useful if you can see in chat who is connecting and disconnecting. instead of it being hidden in a different tab.