News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Tool tip inconsistency

Started by Spike, January 26, 2012, 10:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike

"Plant trees." seems to the be the only one tool tip with a  period in the English language file. I think there should be rules for both upper lower case (mixed wildly in tool tips) and also for periods at the end of the tool tips. Otherwise every person who translates will enter what they think fits best, without taking care for consistency of texts throughout the program.

sdog

period should only be at the end of full sentences. lists or tooltips should not have periods. it is also bad style to mix full sentences into lists. (frequent mistake in powerpoint presentations)

relying (and perhaps linking) to guides to proper grammar and style might be a better alternative to write guides ourselves.

Spike

Quote from: sdog on January 27, 2012, 06:17:13 AM
relying (and perhaps linking) to guides to proper grammar and style might be a better alternative to write guides ourselves.

I guess so. I've posted a book refernce in another thread which I recommend as general guideline for UI texts:
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=9069.msg84623#msg84623

I don't know of any online refernces though. I grew up without internet, and so I'm used to books.

jamespetts

I agree with SDog. Tooltips are not used as much as they might be in Simutrans - there are a few places in Experimental where I have added tooltips where there were none in Standard, but consistency would help.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.