News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Password for nettool

Started by moblet, December 30, 2014, 08:48:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moblet

I've downloaded nettool from here. I've never used it before. I can't run any commands because it asks for a password and it won't accept either my Linux user password or the game's public player/spectator passwords. Any ideas?

Also, the program identifies itself as being for Experimental. Will it also administer v120.0.1 games?

Ters

Experimental will likely only be for experimental.

jamespetts

You will need the Standard version of nettool to run with Standard.

Edit: Although, I notice that Moblet's link did not say that it was for Experimental. I wonder whether Vonjo has linked to an Experimental version in error...?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

moblet

Where do I find nettool for Standard? If it's available for download then it should be listed in the Tools & Resources section on the Simutrans website.

Dwachs

Server password can be set by command line  '-server_admin_pw bla' or in simuconf.tab 'server_admin_pw=bla'

Which version of nettool do you need?
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

moblet

Any version that will administer v120.0.1.

Dwachs

Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

moblet

My server is on Linux, my other machines run Windows. Will I be able to administer games from a machine other than the server or must I run nettool on the server machine?

jamespetts

I think that it's possible to administer it remotely, as nettool takes a server address parameter on the command line. I have not tried doing it remotely, though, as I always log into a terminal session to administer my server and run nettool from there.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

moblet

Thanks all. I have it all working now.

Ters

This makes me wonder: Why isn't nettool part of a standard Simutrans distribution?

moblet

If it's not included in distributions then it would be very helpful if it could be easily found and downloaded.

prissi

The standard version also does not distribute a server, since a server is best compiled for either a 32 bit or 64 bit machine with whatever settings you like (DEBUG, or for vserver heavily optimised).

If you can compile a server, then compiling nettol is trivial.

Ters

Quote from: prissi on January 06, 2015, 09:31:48 PM
The standard version also does not distribute a server, since a server is best compiled for either a 32 bit or 64 bit machine with whatever settings you like (DEBUG, or for vserver heavily optimised).

If you can compile a server, then compiling nettol is trivial.

It's just that I get the impression playing multiplayer games is popular also among people who are not developers. And that people may want to set up private games. There is, or was, a concurrent discussion about making it easier to set up a server.

prissi

You can use the windows executable on a server. The is the logical choice, if you want to join that game too. But then there is no need for nettool.

Otherwise, with all the windows restarts and such, I would use a more stable OS for a display-less server.

Ters

I almost restart my Linux server as often as some Windows machines at work. In both cases, it's because of updates, not stability. So the stability of Windows must have improved over the last decade. (Normally I don't run Windows for very long, but that's because the computer it is running on gets powered down during the night for purely physical reasons.)