News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

industries arent producing goods

Started by boriselperro, July 18, 2017, 04:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boriselperro

I have now started trying to play extended for first time. I like it very much, but I have a problem with factory production I have never had with Simu standard. I have a complete chain of factories, I set 100% cross-connect, all the factories have stations close by and indeed are near towns. I have confirmed all stations have capacity. All of them are properly linked up when touched on the map. They are all served by trains with the right type of trucks. I havent laid on passenger transport for the workers because they are close by towns. Yet only one of the factories actually produces goods. Just to be sure, I have used the connect factories device to double ensure they are connected ... but the icon to show the connection doesnt appear on the factory details, except for the one that is actually producing.  I have awful feeling I am missing something obvious, or maybe it works differently in extended? I would be most grateful for any advice from anyone. Thank you very much in advance.

jamespetts

Hello - sorry that you are having trouble. Cross-connect should work by actually connecting all the industries to each other so that they all show as connected to one another in the information windows displayed when you click on any of them. Cross connect does not work by allowing industries to supply other industries with goods when not connected in this way.

If your industries are not connected, this could mean either that you made a mistake and did not actually enable cross-connect at all, or alternatively that there is a bug in the code (which is possible, as I have not tested much with cross-connect enabled). A workaround for the time being in either case would be to use the public player tool manually to link the industries that you want to connect.

If this is a bug, I will need to fix it at some point (I might not be able to do it straight away, as I have quite a queue of things). I will need to know whether this is a bug or not first, however; can you confirm how you enabled cross-connect?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

boriselperro

Thank you for your response, James. In the settings, I indicated cross-connect factories, and then 100%. I did indeed use the public player to specifically connect the factories I was concerned about, but it didnt solve it. 

I will start another game just to see if the same thing happens again, and let you know if anything changes. Do you think having the just in time button on or off makes any diference?

I know this is a separate matter, but, as I am on, I just made a copy of the British extended pak and deleted from the buildings list all buildings from 1950 going forward, because I happen to like the old ones rather than the newer ones. But now, when I try to load it, it just crashes. Any ideas?

Thanks again for your help, and for the interesting features in extended.

boriselperro

Me again. Re: deleting the modern buildings. I did it again, but this time only buildings from 1960 onwards ... and it loads happily. No idea why, but anyway, please dont worry about this one, it's the other one about the industries which seems more problematic.

jamespetts

I should be very grateful if you could deal with each topic in a separate thread, or else it makes it impossibly difficult to keep a track of what issue has been addressed and what has not been addressed.

Thus, I will deal here only with the cross-connecting of industries. You write that using the public player tool to connect the factories manually did not "solve it": can I ask you to elaborate further - precisely what was the behaviour when you did this?

As to the just in time setting, may I ask how you had this set when you tested initially?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

boriselperro

Sorry about the stray reference, and I understand your point.

I used the public player connect factories icon to click on all the relevant pairs in my chain. I noted that, having done that, the little icon which should appear on the factory's list showing its connection with the other factory did not appear. It only remained on the one industry which was actually producing goods. I also noted that on the map, the lines on the map showing which industry is connected to which continued to assert that all the connections were there. No other factories started to produce anything.

I had the just in time setting selected at the start of the game, as I always have ... partly because I am not really sure what it does and so thought it best just to leave it. As I thought it might be relevant, given the problem, I unselected it, but it did not lead to other factories producing.

At the risk of again offending against your one-theme-at-a-time principle, I need to say that my above remarks are from memory, and I am unable to try any other variation you may suggest because the game, which is the one where I have taken out the more modern buildings (marked IND, COM and RES) is now crashing every time I try to open it, after I select the particular game I wish to open.

jamespetts

In relation to the crash, would you be able to post that as a separate bug report in a different thread? I always treat crashes as high priority bugs. It would be helpful if you could include in the report a saved game in which this can reliably be reproduced.

As to the issue with the industries apparently not connecting even after you have tried to connect them manually, have you tried linking in both directions? (In other words, if I recall correctly, the manual linker tool may need one to click on the factories in a particular order, but I cannot now recall the details of this). If this is not an issue (i.e., if you have tried it in both directions), this might well be an error, and I should be grateful if you could upload a saved game in which this can be reproduced so that I can try to fix this.

Thank you again for your reports.

boriselperro

James, I very much appreciate your willingness to help. Unfortunately it is crashing every time now, before I can even open a game. Perhaps I will have to uninstall the whole thing and start again. I will then try to reproduce the problem and if it happens I will of course try to provide more information. Excuse my dreadful ignorance, but how do you upload a game?

jamespetts

May I ask - do you get any sort of error message when you try to open Simutrans-Extended?

To upload saved games, you can either register an account here, or use any other file uploading service.

boriselperro

There are two different messages:
Fatal error: loadsave T::rdwr_str () string longer (12275) than allowed size (256) Aborting program execution
or
Simutrans Extended has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the proram and notify you if a solution is available.

jamespetts

That sounds as if there is a corrupted automatic saved game file somewhere. May I suggest that you delete your ~/simutrans/default.sve and temp-load.sve files and try again?

boriselperro

Thank you James. I deleted them all. And tried again. It seems to have cured it.

jamespetts

Splendid, thank you for confirming.

Dutchman on Rails

I'm not sure if this has relevance for this situation, but it's good to know for players and might shed some light.

In Simutrans, industry offloads goods into the stations when it reaches a load of 10. In S-Extended this still works the same way, but there's a second rule: It will cease doing so if the number of goods already waiting, en route or at the destination reaches the maximum storage of the destination industry. Once the goods are consumed, new ones are loaded again. Sometimes a partial consumption will suffice, sometimes this has to be taken all the way to zero. This is especially important if a vehicle is partially loaded and at 'load 100%, wait indefinitely' orders as it will never depart and the impression is that production stops.

Edit to add: Just found the Maximum In Transit Percentage Setting with which this can be controlled.