News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Modern Vehicles

Started by The Hood, December 16, 2014, 08:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hood

It's been a while since the first trains were produced for pak128.Britain and things have moved on in the real world. I'm working through a few relatively recent trains to add to the set. First up the Class 350 EMU. Basically an AC version of the Class 450 that Jamespetts has already drawn, so you'd think it would be simple - except FTPE have an insanely crazy livery...

available in Centro/Silverlink, London Midland and FTPE liveries. Standard will use the LM livery.

jamespetts

Gosh, there's an addition! Lovely. The post-privitisation liveries are a pakset creator's nightmare, however, so good luck with that; you seem to have done a good job here so far; the London Midland livery looks especially elegant. If you are doing modern liveries, you might want to take a look at the Javelin, which was drawn before the real one came into service, and carries an imagined livery that the real Javelin never did.

Also, have you considered adding more 'buses, since we are short of those compared to trains? Or, for that matter, perhaps a tree or two more? We only have two types of tree at present. I was going to do 'buses this Christmas, but all has been put off rather with my still ongoing house move, and I never did get the hang of trees.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Junna

That new DRS livery on the new 68/88... how would one even begin to make that?

The Hood

I was planning on redoing the Javelin. We could do with some buses but I'll leave off that and you can do it when you get time. Trees were going to be next on my hit list but SArlock has some models in development that he has allowed me to use, only they aren't ready yet. This project was a nice infill.

Next up the Class 360:
- First
- Heathrow Connect
- National Express
- Abellio

jamespetts

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

The Hood

And the class 185 in two different variants of First Livery

Milko

Hello The Hood

It seems to me that the alignment is to be finished, some coaches are attached, other far apart (for the latter model and the previous).

Very goog job!!!! Great addition.

Giuseppe

jamespetts

Splendid - we did need a class 185. As to the alignment, the lengths in Simutrans come in discrete units, so accurately scaled vehicles sometimes have small gaps between them when in trains.

kierongreen

There's something to be said for altering length scales subtly to ensure that gaps aren't present between vehicles.

jamespetts

It would be good one day to see a more precise system for measuring vehicle length to allow accurately scaled vehicles without gaps.

The Hood

It's always just a single car that has the gap so I suspect I just got some alignments wrong in blender. I'll look into it. They are all derived from the class 450 model which I think is fine so should work. I always round vehicle length to the nearest unit anyway, so it should be able to look right.

kierongreen

For vehicles of length around 12 the slight differences in scaling aren't really an issue. For waggons of length 2 or 3 it's a marginally bigger problem.

The Hood

Turns out the alignment was me forgetting to change the length parameter for all vehicles in the dat file. Easily fixed.

Here's the class 380 in Scotrail livery:

jamespetts

The Hood

Electrostar bonanza:

Class 375 (SE already exists but I've added a pantograph car) in original SE and new SE, Class 377 in Southern and FCC livery

Class 379 and Class 387 (in Thameslink and Gatwick Express Liveries)

Class 376 (In SE and new SE livery)

I will probably not add the 377 and 379 to Standard as they are essentially the same as the 375. Jamespetts, you can decide whether to add them as separate types or as livery variants - in reality the 375s and 377s exist as DC only and dual voltage, and the 379s are AC only, but there is no reason why any of them couldn't be converted should the need arise...

jamespetts

Gosh - quite the variety! I have to say I'm glad that it's you rather than me drawing these modern era railway liveries...

(To respond to the point - I am currently minded to add the different types as livery variants, as we already have a version of the 375 with and without a pantograph).

The Hood

Those ones weren't too bad - but I'm thinking of doing all the class 170 liveries (15 by my count!) when I do the 172...

jamespetts

Quote from: The Hood on December 31, 2014, 08:11:51 PM
Those ones weren't too bad - but I'm thinking of doing all the class 170 liveries (15 by my count!) when I do the 172...

Gosh. Good luck with that!

kierongreen

Quote from: The Hood on December 31, 2014, 08:11:51 PM
anglia (green/white)
one (blue/turquoise/rainbow)
nxea (blue/white/turquoise)
(abellio soon!)

national express scotrail (white/green/purple/red)
first scotrail (indigo/white)
scotrail (blue/white)

strathclyde (maroon/cream)
strathclyde (maroon/cream/green - very similar to above)

london midland (white/turquoise/green/grey)

southern (green/white)

first transpennine express (blueish/pink)

midland mainline (turquoise)

south west trains (white/orange/red)

central trains (white/purple ex porterbrooke)
central trains (turquoise ex midland mainline)
central trains (green/yellow/blue))
cross country (grey/maroon)

hull trains (green/white)

porterbrooke (white/purple)

I make that 16 main liveries, 19 including variants, rebrandings and so on, plus another one to come soon. This doesn't include various all over advertising liveries...

The Hood

Thanks - I was planning on combining the two strathclyde liveries as they were similar and the two transitional central trains liveries, and possibly the NXEA "white stripe". I wasn't aware of the porterbrook livery - when/where was that in use? Also to add the Chiltern livery (class 168 is basically the same)

kierongreen

ex-Porterbrook livery was in use on 3 units aquired by Central Trains from 2004-2006 (at least, maybe later). Prior to this Central Trains had used Porterbrook liveried 170s from time to time (as other operators might have when they were short also). If you're including Chiltern liveried class 168s then you might as well include  Chilern class 172s also (along with London Overground 172, and gangwayed London Midland 172s....), 172s having marginally more power, and less weight than 170s...

Incidentally with all this talk of DMUs I notice that there's some of the ones added more recently (e.g. Class 166 have some incorrect data which I should really sort out)

ClassSpeedWeightPower
1507536+36213+213
1557539+39213+213
1567539+36213+213
1589038+38+38260/300+260/300+260/300
1657540/37+37+39/37261+261+261
1669040+38+40261+261+261
168/170/17110046+42+45315+315+315
17210042+39+42360+360+360

edit: I should point out that for class 170s in particular there are many different variants with slightly different weights...

The Hood

Some turbostars, a Chiltern 168 (graphically identical to 170 and 172) and London Midland 172 (there is a 170 version which uses the same middle car graphic but fronts don't have gangways).

Other livery variants shown below (dats and screenshots would be too tedious for now!)

Chiltern (new); First (scotrail), Overground, Scotrail Saltire, Anglia, One, NXEA, Abellio, Strathclyde, London Midland, Southern (171), SWT, Central, Arriva Cross Country, Hull Trains

kierongreen

Brilliant - a positively technicolour array there!

jamespetts

Goodness me - that's quite an array!

Milko

Hello The Hood

The thing I like most of the pak britain is a package that is colorful, this addition adds variety, is a wonderful addition !!!!. Thank You.

Giuseppe

The Hood

Now the Class 175 DMUs. I've not decided which livery to include in Standard yet - First North Western (original, there is already the class 180 in this livery) or Arriva Trains Wales:

jamespetts

I rather like the Arriva Trains Wales livery. It reminds me of a lovely holiday in Wales a few years ago. On the other hand, the First North Western livery looks as though it involved more effort.

The Hood

On the contrary. I adapted the model from the Class 180 Adelante and simply replaced the streamlined cab with a squashed version. Presumably that's rather similar to what Alstom did too as they are both in the same family of trains. The livery work was already done by Kieron. The Arriva version needed a bit more work!

jamespetts

Ah, well probably best to use that, then.

The Hood

Class 334 in Strathclyde and Saltire liveries:

jamespetts

Splendid! One EMU of the fairly modern era (but not quite as recent as some of these) that is missing is the Class 323, which is a missing link in suburban AC EMUs in the early 1990s.

The Hood

And the class 458 and 460 "Junipers":

-Class 460 (Gatwick Express)
-Class 458/5 (SWT - refurbished combinations of original class 458s and the 460s)
-Class 458 (SWT original)

Junna

The 460 has to be one of the ugliest trains I have ever beheld. Mind boggles on what the designers had in mind when doing that abominations. Looks better there than in reality, at least.

jamespetts

Splendid! The Junipers are a very useful EMU to fill what would otherwise be something of a gap at the end of the 1990s.

The Hood

James you shall have your class 323s:

Northern, First NorthWestern, London Midland, Centro and GMPTE liveries