News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Town/city halls?

Started by percy4u, May 04, 2015, 04:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

percy4u

Is there a way to just create a city hall, with no associated city buildings or tourist attractions. I am trying to simulate the city I live in, so am building everything by hand :o
So, for accuracy, I need the town hall to go in a certain place, and no other buildings to pop up around it.

Ters

Town halls are a very special building in Simutrans. It represents the town, and as such, you don't build them, you build a town and the town hall appears with it. If you're going to build a town building by building, removing the few that appear in a newly founded town shouldn't make much of a difference. Your biggest problem might be that the town hall might relocate as the town grows, unless the pak set you use has the same size for all levels of town halls.

percy4u

I think I've found a way to just build the town hall by itself.
1. Open the New Game dialog.
2. Set the "Median Citizens per City" value to 0.
2. Set the "No. of Cities" value to 0.
3. When the game starts, use the public player to create a new city.
4. Hey presto, a town hall and a stretch of road appears, nothing else.

I've just tried changing the "No. of cities" value to 1, and that works as well. (Not sure how reliable it'll be when cities number gets too high...

Ters

Quote from: percy4u on May 04, 2015, 07:19:57 PM
2. Set the "Median Citizens per City" value to 0.

It is possible that you can change this setting after creating a new game as well. I've never had a reason to try it out, though.

Spacethingy

Make sure you turn off city growth in the town hall's menu. That should stop relocation, right?
Life is like a Simutrans transformer:

You only get one of them, and you can't have it on a slope.

Ters

Quote from: Spacethingy on May 07, 2015, 09:22:37 AM
Make sure you turn off city growth in the town hall's menu. That should stop relocation, right?

But then you're stuck with the tiny initial town hall. Unless town halls don't grow when adding buildings manually, but then it might also relocate. (This also raises the question how towns behave when all buildings are added manually. There shouldn't be anyone living in these buildings, as population creates buildings, not the other way around?)