News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

City Names

Started by Colin, August 19, 2013, 04:04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin

Hi Guys, It's been a long time since I last played Simutrans and I thought I would have a look to see how it has progressed. But, I can't remember how to use Local City Names, as in Aussie names. I thought it was just a matter of deleting the others from the Text Menu, but obviously not.
Grateful for any help please.
Colin
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

kierongreen

Hey Colin,
Long time no see! Rename citylist_en_au.txt to citylist_en.txt and that should work :)

Colin

Hi Kieron,
Tried that it doesn't work I still get strange town names like Appington, Haven't even heard of that in the UK and it's certainly not Aussie. I've even tried deleting every other city list in the Text Files and I still get the same strange names. I can't understand what I'm doing wrong I always got it to work before. Maybe I'm getting senile in my old age.
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

Sarlock

Did you make the change in the /text folder of the pakset that you are using?
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

IgorEliezer

I know it's off-topic, but anyway...

HI COLIN! :D

kierongreen

Yeah, the citylist file should be text/citylist_en.txt. Names like "Appington" are autogenerated that indicates it's not found any citylist.

Ters

Quote from: kierongreen on August 20, 2013, 07:03:49 AM
Yeah, the citylist file should be text/citylist_en.txt.

However, on a default configured Windows machine, the .txt part will not be visible in Explorer. I don't know what Mac does, but *NIX usually show extensions.

Fabio

I think it's time to request a GUI to select an arbitrary city names list regardless the local language chosen for the UI.

by the way, nice to see you back, Colin!

Colin

Hi Guys, nice to be welcomed back.
Yes I tried it in both PAK128 and PAK64.  I even deleted all the other City Lists. all to no avail. I'm baffled because I know it used to work that way. A gui seems a reasonable request.
Off Topic, does anyone know where Nightly is or his new email address. He seems to have gone incommunicado and given where lives it's a bit of a worry.
Regards to all,
Colin

Thought for the day

kierongreen

Ensure that you have files the following files:
pak/text/en.tab
pak/text/citylist_en.txt

or
pak128/text/en.tab
pak128/text/citylist_en.txt

Colin

Hi Kieron,

Yep they sure do. I must admit that I actually put citylist_en.text but I changed it to citylist_en.txt. citylist_en.txt is listed directly under citylist_dk in the Text Docs and en is listed directly under dk in the TAB files It hasn't made any difference, the game still comes up with the AutoGenerated Names. At least in PAK64 it does. I've got to reinstall PAK128, I lost it somehow.

Thought for the day

kierongreen

Hmm that should be working...

Gnarly

I'm having trouble changing the names. Keep getting a pop up saying "access denied" when I try to save the doc. It's the .txt in /pak/text with the list of names.

Ters

Another good reason for having a GUI for this. If Simutrans is installed in the proper way, non-admins can't change the files.

Colin

@Gnarly

Well you just right click on the text file click 'Rename' change the file to what you want it to be. the either 'save' or 'close' the changed file.
Hope that helps.

Thought for the day

Ters

That won't work if Gnarly doesn't have admin rights. But it seems Gnarly is trying to edit a list, not replace it with another one, which might be problematic even as an administrator on Windows. In that case, one must first explicitly start the file editor in administrator mode, and then open the file from within the program.

Gnarly

I had tried editing with multiple "notepad" applications, most of which require permission to open. I got it now, though.

An_dz

You also could have saved in another location that don't need admin rights, like Desktop, and then move the file.

When no admin rights are provided, files are created in a 'virtual folder', located in:
/Users/*user*/appData/local/VirtualStorage
If you run a program without admin it reads the files in this folder. With admin it reads from the real location.

Colin

Well all this off topic is fine but I still can not get the game to read the correct City List and I have no problems editing it. So I still can not play the game.

Thought for the day

Sarlock

Perhaps you could give us a bit more information to help us help you, Colin.  I just tested on my system and it was working fine... what folder is your edited citylist_en.txt in?  What pakset are you using?

Colin

Hi Sarlock,

If you read my posts above you will see that I am using PAK64 and PAK128. The folder, again given in above posts are Text under PAK for PAK64 and PAK128 for PAK128.
I have been editing these folders since 1996 and I've never had a problem until now, so as far as I'm concerned the problem is with the game not with me, UNLESS, something has been fundamentally changed and nobody knows what it is.

Thought for the day

Sarlock

I just tested it again and it worked fine (pak128)... changed between several different city name sets, started a new map and it used the new names.

Here is the folder and what it looked like after editing the file:

See if there is something different in how your folder looks.

Colin

Nope this is exactly what I have except mine is au
Fixed. Re downloaded complete PAK sets etc. changed the City Lists all is now fine. Must have been something corrupted in the first set of downloads I did.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Thought for the day