News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Train wood carrying station

Started by Mazamune, August 27, 2013, 10:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mazamune

Hello, i am all new to this game, and i have been looking all over the internet for one day to find a solution to my problem but to no avail. So here goes ....

First, some information about my game, i am using the comic 96 pak, windows version, V112.3 of the game.

My problem is show by that picture, i would like to get my train (in the blue circle) to be able to carry WOOD to another station (out of the screen) and i have tried every combination of the above stations (in red) but none was able to let the train carry wood, so what am i doing wrong ??? I am also using the better tracks rails so my train can get a lil faster.

Spacethingy

Is the road lorry stop taking wood to the same factory as the train? The wood may prefer to go on the road route, rather than the rail route.

Other things to try, check that the station at the destination covers the factory (press v to see station coverage). The number of times I've battled with a route that refuses to work then discovered that a station doesn't quite serve a factory...

Bienvenue, by the way!
Life is like a Simutrans transformer:

You only get one of them, and you can't have it on a slope.

An_dz

Only stations 9, 10, 11, 12 can be used in your case because they are the only ones that allow cargo. You can use the other types if you include one of the last 4 station extensions.

If the factory you want to deliver the wood have a contract with the forest and the station cover the whole train, I can't see anything wrong.

Mazamune

Alright, thanks for the info, i was trying to deliver the goods to a warehouse next to a railway freight station but apparently i can't make it unload the goods down there, but i managed to make it unload all of it at a sawmill. Thanks. Man it's really a hard game to understand, although i find the 96 comic pak really better looking and easier to understand to me, i haven't found any tutorial for it, but well, i think i'll work it out. Thanks again.

Ters

There must be a complete route from producer to consumer, or goods won't flow. Warehouses aren't interested in being a dumping ground for goods, and even if they were, you would likely have to pay to deliver goods there, rather than getting paid.

I don't know where this warehouse of yours came from. It might just be a simple building that's just part of a city, with no role when it comes to goods at all. (There are also industrial buildings that don't acutually work as industries in the sense that they make or consume goods.)

It is however possible to have vehicles carry goods to a station, and then another vehicle taking over from there. Most pak sets likely have warehouses you can build as extensions to your stations to increase their capacity. Both vehicles must call at the same station, not just to stations/stops next to eachother.

All pak sets work in the same way, so any tutorial works for all. They just have different vehicles, somewhat different types of goods, and somewhat different factories. And they look different and have different costs. Perhaps the only thing that can make a tutorial unsuited for a pak set, is that the pak set might not have all possible signs and signals.

sdog

Quote from: Spacethingy on August 27, 2013, 11:25:13 AM
Other things to try, check that the station at the destination covers the factory (press v to see station coverage). The number of times I've battled with a route that refuses to work then discovered that a station doesn't quite serve a factory...

I think that might have been the obstacle here.
The wood plantation has one building where cargo connects, the forest fields next to it do not interface with stations.

You can build your station on the track you built. Then click on it with the viewer tool and see in the station dialogue if the industry is connected. (compare with the lorry loading bay, which is connected to see what to look for.)

If it is not connected, place a station extension building next to your train station, near the wood plantations central building and check again if it is connected.

The station coverage can be shown as an overlay on the map, as Spacethingy pointed out already. You can find it in the display dialogue of the main menu. Typically the 'v' key also triggers it. But this might be different for your pakset and language.

An_dz

Quote from: sdog on August 27, 2013, 11:02:05 PM
I think that might have been the obstacle here.
The wood plantation has one building where cargo connects, the forest fields next to it do not interface with stations.
No. On 96comic the forest doesn't work as a farm. The forest is part of the building.

The problem here was that he was trying to deliver goods to a city building, because there are no warehouses as factory, or to a factory that looks like one.

@Mazamune
In Simutrans every factory can only deliver its goods to other selected factories. When you click over a factory you can see which other factories you can deliver the goods as well the ones it needs supplies from. You can also check if it's connected to a stop.

If you open the map you can click on selections and select Factories. All factories will highlight and if you hover one it will show all its consumers.