News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Recent posts

Quote from: Ranran(retired) on March 04, 2024, 02:05:20 PM"Rated speed" is generally a characteristic of electric motors, but in simutrans extended all power has the same characteristics as electric motors.
This property was once coded by Bernd Gabriel. So from that point on, this concept exists in Simutrans Extended.

Same problem also for jet aircraft, where instead of power we should talk about thrust.

Giuseppe

Simutrans Gaming Discussion / Re: Is anyone else out there r...
Last post by Matthew - March 05, 2024, 12:39:24 AM
A problem with deleting old maps? What, me? Absolutely not, sir.

Nothing to see here, sir, just 10% of my disk in Simutrans save files....  :-[
Simutrans Gaming Discussion / Re: Is anyone else out there r...
Last post by Antonin - March 04, 2024, 04:40:34 PM
Oh, and I forgot...I also have maps that I began in pak64.German and pak128.German. I sometimes go back and play on my different pak64 maps, but not often. They are good paks and I appreciate the work that others did to make them so playable, but it is difficult for my 66 year old eyes to handle pak64 maps and the vehicles that use them.
I start a map and intend to "complete" it and usually get distracted. But they're all still out there in case I ever decide to go back and play them. Which I never do. But I totally would. lol
Quote from: jamespetts on March 03, 2024, 03:44:18 PMExcellent, thank you for this. One query, if I may: there is an item in the table by the name of "rated speed". I do not think that this concept is used in the 14.x branch if I have understood what you mean by it correctly. Is this not the thing used in the 15.x branch to determine the base speed for the calculation of fuel consumption?
"Rated speed" is generally a characteristic of electric motors, but in simutrans extended all power has the same characteristics as electric motors.
This property was once coded by Bernd Gabriel. So from that point on, this concept exists in Simutrans Extended.

(However, it must be noted that in the real world this is a characteristic limited to electric motors. Please note that steam power and engines in real world have completely different characteristics. That difference is not reproduced in extended.)

This element gives meaning to the player's choice of power vehicle, and is also a feature of extended.
These values are often used to represent the specifications of power vehicles. And it is still displayed like this as of current version of extended.

This is an important value that allows player to know the characteristics of a vehicle by checking this value even if the vehicle has the same power output.
It tells us the speed the motor is good at. This is the speed when the motor is at its rated rotation speed, and if the gear ratio is tuned toward high speed, such as in an express vehicle, this value will be high, but the traction force will be low.
In contrast, trains such as commuter trains and freight locomotives, where acceleration and traction are more important than speed, are geared for lower speeds, resulting in lower rated speeds but higher traction.

In other words, just like in the real world, it is desirable for players to select a power vehicle that is appropriate for their purpose, and rated speed is an indicator of this. The same was true when choosing horses to pull carriages/wagons in ancient era.

Generally, in the real world, motor vehicles exhibit a constant acceleration until they reach this rated speed.

For example, the vehicle shown in the image uses a motor with a rated speed of 48km/h, so it exhibits constant acceleration up to 48km/h.
When the rated speed (rated speed of the motor) is exceeded, the traction force gradually decreases and the acceleration also decreases.
Such properties are also coded by Bernd Gabriel.

Even in the current version, "rated speed" helps players choose the most suitable power vehicle for their application.
This concept is expressed in Japan as "定格速度", which literally translates into English as "rated speed," but I don't know if that is the correct expression.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is a parameter that represents motor performance. Therefore, it is placed near power and tractor force.
By comparing it with the maximum speed, player can also use it as a reference to determine whether the tuning is for high speed or low speed.

I found a crashing bug in this branch today, so I fixed it.
Simutrans Gaming Discussion / Is anyone else out there reluc...
Last post by Antonin - March 04, 2024, 03:52:45 AM
We bought this computer in 2020. Since then I have started maps in pak64, pak64.Japan, pak128, pak128.Britain, pak128.Japan and pak192.Comic. I also have Simutrans on a flash drive somewhere, with maps I started on our previous computer. Eventually I get a little bit bored with playing a particular map and stop playing it. I then start a new one with maybe a different city list, or with a different start date.

But I rarely delete a map. Sometimes I go back to one and continue where I left off, and it almost seems like a new game. It's almost as if the cities of my maps are living things, and I would almost feel guilty about deleting them.

Yesterday I went back to an old pak128.Britain map and began to rename all my routes to the system I have been using in recent years.

In my current pak192.Comic game, which has a start date of 1990, I have connected almost every industry and city, and I wonder if I will be able to delete it after it is done. Maybe I will just expand the map, add some cities and industries and continue.

Does anyone else find themselves reluctant to delete an old map?
Simutrans Gaming Discussion / Re: Is there any reason NOT to...
Last post by Octavius - March 03, 2024, 09:06:38 PM
Quote from: Isaac Eiland-Hall on February 08, 2024, 10:01:38 PMRails are generally private, so I would build those with your company.
I understand that rails in the US are generally private and in the UK this was originally the case too, but on mainland Europe rails have been generally public from the very start. Or semi-public, organised as a private company with governments (often regional) as main shareholder.
Excellent, thank you for this. One query, if I may: there is an item in the table by the name of "rated speed". I do not think that this concept is used in the 14.x branch if I have understood what you mean by it correctly. Is this not the thing used in the 15.x branch to determine the base speed for the calculation of fuel consumption?

Apologies if I have misunderstood what this refers to. If I have misunderstood, I should be grateful if you could let me know what you intended this to mean so that I can choose a clearer English translation text. Thank you.
Excellent, thank you: that is very good and I have now incorporated the work so far on this into the master branch.

To answer the various points and questions: your design of the right button arrow for jumping to the position is better than my earlier suggestion of having a "jump" button. I think that it is probably wise to define a separate delete stop button as you suggest. I also think that it would be a good idea to put the delete button near the swap button, although this will need, of course, to be in line with the schedule entry, not between pairs of them as the swap button is.
Simutrans-Extended bug reports / Re: Crash when opening line
Last post by jamespetts - March 03, 2024, 02:48:29 PM
Update: I believe that I have now found and fixed this crash, as well as merged the pull request. Thank you for the report.