News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Number of GOODS catagories

Started by Spartanis, July 22, 2012, 04:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartanis

According to TIKI WIKI,

there are 15 categories of goods one can create. Is this a finite number? or can we create up to say.... 100 types of goods?

And on the subject of goods,

what types of goods categories DO we transport? is there more than we know? lol

Special
  - other stuff not defined
liquid (mass liquid tanks)
  - Oil, Water, fuel, etc
crates (packed Goods)
  - Small Boxed goods, Palletized goods (bags stacked on pallets),  or any goods that is box shaped
bulk (mass substances
  sand, rocks, soil, rubbish, etc
frozen/cooled
  -packed foodstuff, skinned cows (ready for the butcher!), scientific stuff etc
bags
- Mail, Recycled clothings, etc
Unusual Loads
- big items load (oversized loads) eg: transporting DUMP TRUCKS
long goods
- Lumber, Steel pipes, Rubber pipes, etc
cars
- self explanatory
People
- public transport
Secured Loads
- extreme valueble stuffs (gold, money, etc)

Dwachs

You can define up to 255 (or 254?) types of goods with the same max number of categories. However, this includes the special good types passenger, mail, and none (which is there to indicate that a vehicle does not carry anything).
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Spartanis

ok.. catg 0 can have 255 (or 254) goods

Understandable,

But how many Catg's can we have.. really?

Ters

Isn't the maximum number of categories 31 plus special, as their identifiers are defined in a static list in the executable? So either 255 or 254 types of goods divided into 32 categories, including the uncategoriezed category (special)?

Dwachs

There is this hard-coded table, which assumes 31 categories. (Special goods are not counted, ie goods with category=0).

However,  it seems to me this table is only used for retrieving a name for the categories. And such can be easily extended, if there is a need to have more than 31 categories.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Ters

Perhaps true, but it would require a change in the game itself by a developer, at least to get the goods list dialog to list more than 31 categories correctly. It's not something a pak can do on its own. The translation tool must also be aware of the new category identifiers somehow, if the pak is to be translateable there.

prissi

I think, you will hit into the limit of 251 goods before. Otherwise you would have lots of categories with only a single good; but this is equivalent to making them special freight.

However, as Dwachs said: No pak came ever close to reaching this limit. Especially, since this would require 256 vehicles per waytype at least without any choice.

Spartanis

This discussion is rather interesting, I actually agree with and belive Prissi's statement. it is inconceivable that one would reach the limit. Unless one is a die-hard :P

Im just trying to understand about the game as much as i can, bit by bit, as it would help me create paks and stuff. The more I learn, the more... er.. expert amongst you experts i become! :D

hehe

So im just going to say 15 catg's is pretty much the limit.. with perhaps 200 goods per catg's.. so what,.. that be 200x15 number of possible goods the game can handle?

Combuijs

No, the game can "only" handle 251 goods in total.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Spartanis

ahhh... so 251 goods, split up to fill up to x amount of Catg's? correct?

Combuijs

Quote from: Spartanis on July 23, 2012, 10:30:49 AM

Fully correct!!!
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Spartanis

Ters

Quote from: Spartanis on July 23, 2012, 10:30:49 AM

I think x should be 31, and goods don't have to be in a category. Categories just mean that a vehicle carrying one type of cargo, can also carry all other goods in the same category.