News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Simutrans Android App?

Started by Spartanis, July 29, 2012, 05:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartanis

I was playing around with such delight with my new acer a100 tablet thingymahbobs... And discovered teh world of GOOGLE APPS for androids and such.. so much nifty games!! but they cost a bit.. well cheep but still...

Curious, i went looking at such programming codes used to create apps, and it seems the same as MSVC. (visual c) .. well so far...

If it is the same, then i might look into that AFTER i learn as much as I can about MSVC.. AFTER i done my pakset project... (which means 5 years away lol)

One issue tho... is screen size. Means Tiny ICons.. meaning TINY images for vehicles and buildings!.. O.o .. probably not worth it! lmao.....

Mod Note: corrected typo in thread subject -- Dwachs

Ters

I think typical Android apps are written in Java, which Simutrans isn't, but C++ will work also. Though Wikipedia mentions plugins for Visual Studio, it might not be the most suited envioronment as Microsoft will most likely be focusing on Metro.

Then there's the fact that Simutrans is very dependent on mouse and keyboard for accessing it's huge amount of tools with variations. This has been discussed in other threads, along with graphic size issues.

Spartanis

Ahh.. I knew you guys talked about this. Glad you reached the conclusion .. and yes you are right.. Simutrans is played largely dependant on Mouse and Tools.. but also on Screen size. I think most die hard simutrans player's dream is to play simutrans on a 42 inch led tv :P

prissi

Well, simutrans is designed to be useful only with a single button mouse. Only for scrolling, keyboard would be required.

However, scrolling is not a problem on a tab. Increasing the icon size is also not a problem, and is high on my agenda after the release today (or tomorrow).

SDL is supported via Andriod NDK, and simutrans works on arm machines (like the rasberry PI) which are even less powerful than a typical tablet.

The biggest showstopper is a suitable android device (and time). In principle, with a week full time, I could get there. However, for the next month not such slot will be available for sure ....

Bricktop

I would like to contribute to this subject too. And I might have an android tablet soon. Just lets get some things straight for me as it would be my first porting done:
[size=78%] [/size]If there is an actual libsdl port for android (im talking about http://www.anddev.org/sdl_port_for_android_sdk-ndk_16-t9218.html made by pelya), should the porting be easier? Even as easy as copying game to sd card and running the port?

If not we could work together on it exchanging some knowledge about it. (i've made some coding in c before.)

prissi

The was an simutrans app which used its own SDL port. But as far as I know, SDL won't be the showstopper.

Bricktop

Could You point me to that app?

Combuijs

Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Bricktop

Great, thanks for posting it. I personally think we could start with Pelya's source code for OpenTTD and libsdl port for android.

Browsed the pelya's git hub and source of libsdl port and found this : http://anddev.at.ua/src/porting_manual.txt . This is a step by step tutorial for linux users . I'm bit of a linux newbie but might get a grip of it when I get my other machine.

Ashley

I've just been given a Nexus 7 android tablet. Trying to figure out a use for it - maybe I should port Simutrans to run on it.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

sim13turan

Quote from: Spartanis on July 29, 2012, 05:55:03 AM
I was playing around with such delight with my new acer a100 android tablet thingymahbobs... And discovered teh world of GOOGLE APPS for androids and such.. so much nifty games!! but they cost a bit.. well cheep but still...

Curious, i went looking at such programming codes used to create apps, and it seems the same as MSVC. (visual c) .. well so far...

If it is the same, then i might look into that AFTER i learn as much as I can about MSVC.. AFTER i done my pakset project... (which means 5 years away lol)

One issue tho... is screen size. Means Tiny ICons.. meaning TINY images for vehicles and buildings!.. O.o .. probably not worth it! lmao.....

Mod Note: corrected typo in thread subject -- Dwachs

If I have tablet, I will download simutrans app if will run.