News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

revision.jse broke...

Started by Max-Max, August 06, 2013, 01:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max-Max

I updated TortoiseSVN to:

TortoiseSVN 1.8.1, Build 24570 - 64 Bit , 2013/07/22 18:28:29
Subversion 1.8.1, -release
apr 1.4.8
apr-util 1.5.2
serf 1.3.0
OpenSSL 1.0.1e 11 Feb 2013
zlib 1.2.8

...and now revision.jse only produce

#include REVISION

...it seems like the SVN API has changed or something...

Does anyone else get this problem or know how to fix it?
- My code doesn't have bugs. It develops random features...

prissi

Is subversion in your PATH variable? Tortoise did install it in a way it is not when I tested it a long time ago.

I do not call any API, just calling svn info. That should not change.

Ters

I've had troubles with these automatic revision from svn things before. svn was not found, so I just disabled the revision fetching code. It has worked lately, though, but maybe TortoiseSVN is a bit hit-and-miss when it comes to registering itself in PATH.

Max-Max

Yes I have "C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin" in my path and this is the correct path.

I have update TortoiseSVN many times before and never had any problems until now. TortoiseSVN itself works fine, just not the revision.jse script.

Ters

What does svnversion print for you then? Considering the program's solve purpose is to print the revision number, it's hard to see how it would have changed.

Max-Max

Quote from: Ters on August 06, 2013, 05:47:02 PM
What does svnversion print for you then? Considering the program's solve purpose is to print the revision number, it's hard to see how it would have changed.

After running the script revision.h looks like this:

#define REVISION

An empty REVISION definition of course generates compiler error (missing paramter)...

Ters

Quote from: Max-Max on August 06, 2013, 06:30:40 PM
After running the script revision.h looks like this:

#define REVISION

An empty REVISION definition of course generates compiler error (missing paramter)...

You didn't answer my question. I asked what svnversion is printing. Although that is what is supposed to end up in revision.h, I wanted you to just run svnversion. Maybe I could have been more clear about that, but I though it was obvious that I wanted to look at the source of the problem, not at the final result.

Better late than never, here's what I want you to do: open command prompt, cd to simutrans working directory, type svnversion and press enter. What does it print out?

Max-Max

Well,

svnversion returns

svn: E155021: This client is too old to work with the working copy at
'D:\Projects\simutrans\Standard\Theme' (format 31).
You need to get a newer Subversion client. For more details, see
  http://subversion.apache.org/faq.html#working-copy-format-change

But I have updated the working copy to the new format and if I click "check new version" in TortoiseSVN "About"-menu it says I have the latest version.

I did a clean but it didn't help either.
I deleted the whole working directory, created a new, did a new fresh check out but svnversion still gives me the same error.

I guess the only thing left to do is to uninstall/install TortoiseSVN...

kierongreen

For reference this is what I get here on the command line in linux:
kieron@numenor:/data/Upload/simutrans/trunk$ svn update
At revision 6621.
kieron@numenor:/data/Upload/simutrans/trunk$ svnversion

Dwachs

Maybe there is an old version of svn hiding on your system?
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Ters

Quote from: Dwachs on August 07, 2013, 08:14:55 AM
Maybe there is an old version of svn hiding on your system?

That seems the most likely to me. where svnversion should reveal where it's hiding.

Max-Max

I have uninstalled both TortoiseSVN and TortoiseGIT, rebooted, then installed TortoiseSVN (from a fresh download), reboot. Delete my local copy and perform a new checkout from svn://tron.homeunix.org/simutrans/simutrans/trunk

I still have the same problems and errors as before.
svnversion still gives

Any more suggestions?

EDIT:
I also tried to uninstall/install Java again, still no change in result.

Ters

Try all suggestions you've already received first. If you don't understand them, just ask.

Max-Max

I have tried everything suggested. What is it in your opinion I haven't tried?
Maybe I'm to stupid to understand the obvious?

Ters

What did where svnversion say? I'm trying to figure out if you might have a subversion installation besides TortoiseSVN. Even if you're sure you've never installed one, lingering assumptions are evil when troubleshooting.

Max-Max

I did included what svnversion showed in my post.
Quotesvnversion still gives

But, thank you Ters, you made me realise something ;D

I was so focused on TortoiseSVN that I completely forgot about Collabnet Subversion Client that has to be installed to run the revision script. Since I have always been working with TortoiseSVN, the Subversion Client isn't something I normaly use at all.

As you suspected, Collabnet was not updated and after the update It works fine again  :thumbsup:

So if someone else have the same problem:
update TortoiseSVN and Collabnet Subversion Client (they need to be in synch).

Ters

Quote from: Max-Max on August 20, 2013, 08:07:07 PM
I did included what svnversion showed in my post.

No, you actually didn't. This time I didn't tell you to run svnversion, but where svnversion. The output should then have been something like C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin\svnversion.exe, which it wouldn't have been in your case. Not reading things properly, be it instructions or error messages, is also a great time-waster when troubleshooting. I'm not criticizing here, just sharing experience. I fall for these things myself more often than I like, even though I know better.

Max-Max

I'm really not the right person to criticise English, but "What did where svnversion say?" is a little bit cryptic to understand that you meant "Were is svnversion.exe located?"
Not reading properly what you have written before posting, be it instructions or error messages, is also a great time-waster when troubleshooting...  ;)

Anyway, you did help me a lot and now it works, thank you! :thumbsup:

Ters

I tried to make it clear that it was a command by using monospace font for it. Perhaps I should have used the code tag.