News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

minimum speed sign

Started by Vladki, March 10, 2015, 08:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vladki

Hi, all

I have improved a bit Junna's minimum speed signs - fixed the positioning on diagonals, added icons and cursors. If you like it, please include (suitable for experimental as well as standard).

jamespetts

I have moved this to the Standard Pak128.Britain board, as minimum speed signs are not exclusive to Simutrans-Experimental. May I ask whether these are based on a real life prototype?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Vladki

Quote from: jamespetts on March 10, 2015, 08:23:15 PM
May I ask whether these are based on a real life prototype?

I have no Idea, the yellow sign was already in the pak, it was just badly displayed on diagonals and had some missing pixels - looked weird in game. So I added a few pixels so that the sign has the same shape as end-of-choose (classic). I tried to search the post with original version, but I could not find it.

Update: maybe the original was attempt for the "end of speed restriction marker" http://www.railsigns.uk/sect13page1/sect13page1.html which is yellow circle, and I have "fixed" it to yellow square.
http://www.railsigns.uk/photos/p_psr1/p_psr1.html

jamespetts

Ahh, I had not spotted that this was a railway minimum speed sign: my apologies. I do not think that it was intended to be square, though: I think that it was intended to be the shape of numerals giving the speed, as in the first two images in your second link.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Vladki

Hmm, rendering two digit numbers in 4x4 pixels is a difficult challenge ;)

jamespetts

Vladki

An alternative version - attempt to make a round sign, from above referenced pictures.

jamespetts

The round yellow is the end of speed restriction, is it not...?

Vladki

Yes it is. If you like either version you can include it in pak. I personally prefer the square version because of visibility, even if it is not exactly an existing sign.

Junna

I tried to make it a bit uneven to give the sensation of displaying numbers.

The modern speed signs are red-lined circles with black text, on the other hand, but that's even more difficult to manage to replicate with any satisfactory result.

jamespetts

Ideally, we'd have both different signs for different eras (and this one in white to represent earlier practice).

Vladki

Quote from: jamespetts on March 19, 2015, 07:07:00 PM
Ideally, we'd have both different signs for different eras (and this one in white to represent earlier practice).

What about using different era or experimental designs to show different speeds e.g.:

- white  .. 60 km/h
- yellow .. 100 km/h
- red/white .. 120 km/h
- red/black .. 160 km/h (metric sign)

or a blue/yellow sign used on TGV tracks: [2.125] http://www.railsigns.uk/sect2page7/sect2page7.html

Edit: some samples how it could look like. Assignment of colors to speeds and intro dates is open for discuccion.

The Hood

Was there ever any agreement on how to use these graphics? Would be a shame to let them go to waste.

Vladki

I think james was inspired by these when he did the new signals for experimental. The difference is that he rendered them in blender instead of my pixel-art.  Another difference is that he used the different desings solely for different eras, while there are 3 visually identical signs for different speeds at the same time. I would prefer using the older designs for lower speed, and newer design for higher speed limits.

Anyway, if you like them, feel free to use them in any way.

jamespetts

Are those left or right handed? I produced mine to be left handed to be compatible with the new left handed signal set.

Vladki

Please do not think about signals as only right or left handed. With properly set left_offset, they can be used perfectly for both. I'm not sure about the exact value now, but for railways i think it is 11.
Have a look ar czech or swedish signals and signs. They use left_offset and can be used on both sides.

The Hood

I've now found jamespett's speed signals which I will add for consistency with experimental.

jamespetts

Ahh, I had forgotten about left_offset, which is new. However, semaphore signals will need different left and right handed versions as they are inherently handed.