News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

New(er) to Pakset128 - Issues and questions

Started by wildh0rse, March 12, 2015, 03:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildh0rse

Well, I've scoured the net as much as could, and still I have questions that seem not to have been asked, or I just gave up looking maybe.

1. Elevated Ways - in pakset64 these are placed like bridges and are complete with on/off ramps.  This does not see to be the case in 128.  I have tried linking a bridge, flat track, moving around the mouse, how is this done?

2. Long Bridges/Ways - is this possible in 128? in 64 you could stretch an elevated way across the sea if you found the right spots.  If I build too many tunnels I lose my place when tracing routes.  :)

3 - Wiki - is it only in portuguese?

4 - Transformers - why do my factories not draw any power with their transformers? In 64 whenever they were "active"  they drew power.  Yest almost all of my factories are not doing this.  Utilization on the grid is like 12%.  Is there some connection I am missing?

Vladki

Quote from: wildh0rse on March 12, 2015, 03:22:51 PM
1. Elevated Ways - in pakset64 these are placed like bridges and are complete with on/off ramps.  This does not see to be the case in 128.  I have tried linking a bridge, flat track, moving around the mouse, how is this done?
Elevated ways and bridges are two different things. If you want to connect elevated way to ground level way, use bridge. Or build the elewated way next to vertical cliff so that the top of the cliff is at the same level as elevated way and build a normal way fron the cliff to the elevated one.

2. Long Bridges/Ways - is this possible in 128? in 64 you could stretch an elevated way across the sea if you found the right spots.  If I build too many tunnels I lose my place when tracing routes.  :)
Bridges may have limited length - should be shown on mouse-over-icon. Elevated way can have any length, but AFAIK cannot be built over sea. IIRC it is on wishlist to allow building elevated ways over shallow water.

3 - Wiki - is it only in portuguese?
It is in english too

4 - Transformers - why do my factories not draw any power with their transformers? In 64 whenever they were "active"  they drew power.  Yest almost all of my factories are not doing this.  Utilization on the grid is like 12%.  Is there some connection I am missing?
Not all factories can be boosted by electricity - typically farms and forests. Check the details in factory info.

wildh0rse

Quote from: Vladki on March 12, 2015, 09:33:45 PM
Elevated ways and bridges are two different things. If you want to connect elevated way to ground level way, use bridge. Or build the elewated way next to vertical cliff so that the top of the cliff is at the same level as elevated way and build a normal way fron the cliff to the elevated one.

I tried this, it doesnt work to connevt ground level with elevated ways using a bridge.  I have to lower the ground, dip the last elevated section down, and THEN build a bridge.  Should I be able to merely connect ground level track with elevated ways WITHOUT lowering the ground? This is driving me nuts. lol

Leartin

Quote from: wildh0rse on March 13, 2015, 01:08:04 AM
I tried this, it doesnt work to connevt ground level with elevated ways using a bridge.  I have to lower the ground, dip the last elevated section down, and THEN build a bridge.  Should I be able to merely connect ground level track with elevated ways WITHOUT lowering the ground? This is driving me nuts. lol

It's what worked before. But with half heights (a relatively recent feature), might be the bridge only supports half height ramps, which is not enough to connect to a full-height elevated way, so you do need to change the ground in some way or another. Hopefully, at some point, a better solution gets implemented.

gauthier

QuoteBridges may have limited length - should be shown on mouse-over-icon. Elevated way can have any length, but AFAIK cannot be built over sea. IIRC it is on wishlist to allow building elevated ways over shallow water.
This does work on seas, not on lakes.

DrSuperGood

Quote1. Elevated Ways - in pakset64 these are placed like bridges and are complete with on/off ramps.  This does not see to be the case in 128.  I have tried linking a bridge, flat track, moving around the mouse, how is this done?
They are currently inconsistent. I did encourage consistency between the two however no one agreed as to which would take precedence.

Bridges can be built over practically everything as long as they have some minimum clearance. Elevated ways cannot be built over structures owned by other non-neutral companies (eg stops), bridges and buildings which have a second height image (tall buildings). It is important to note that cities do not view the area under bridges as clear land yet do for elevated ways. Additionally buildings do not obey elevated way placement requirements when upgrading or placing buildings resulting in seemingly impossible placements.

Quote2. Long Bridges/Ways - is this possible in 128? in 64 you could stretch an elevated way across the sea if you found the right spots.  If I build too many tunnels I lose my place when tracing routes.
No it is not possible. 128 bridges have a finite span unlike the viaduct and high-speed bridges in 64 which had infinite span. You can still use tunnel to cross oceans however.

Quote4 - Transformers - why do my factories not draw any power with their transformers? In 64 whenever they were "active"  they drew power.  Yest almost all of my factories are not doing this.  Utilization on the grid is like 12%.  Is there some connection I am missing?
Not all factories draw power. In pak64 they all draw power due to default power behaviour. In pak128 many are specifically specified to have no power consumption (forest, farms, shops etc) so will not draw power. If you are using JIT2 the power consumption is based on utilization so will be very little for suppliers that are not well utilized.