News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

[New rail vehicles] Pre-nationalisation steam locomotives and carriages

Started by jamespetts, December 11, 2015, 12:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

I have added a new steam locomotive in this commit: the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway 1 Class of 1880:

(Shown hauling LNWR carriages because there are no LTSR carriages yet).
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

fab. Is it just me or is the loco misaligned (too far back) relative to the carriages though?

jamespetts

Its length was set at 5 when it was compiled, so I changed it to 6: it was too late last night when I did this to re-compile the pakset to take a screen-shot of it with the correct length, but it should be right now.

Incidentally, the LNWR carriages will need re-scaling, which I will hopefully do before too long.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

jamespetts

After a rather extensive project over the Christmas holidays, extending into January, of re-scaling a very large number of steam locomotives, passenger carriages and electric multiple units formerly of the wrong size and adding a number of new items and liveries of vehicles of those descriptions, I am now getting to the point of integrating most of them into the pakset by creating .dat files for them. I will confine this thread to entirely new items (rather than re-scaling or new liveries for existing vehicles), but those will slowly be added over the next few weeks, too (indeed, some already have been added: I suggest that the Standard maintainers keep an eye on the Github repository for these changes, as these re-scalings will benefit Standard, too).

Firstly, I start with some London, Tilbury & Southend 48ft 6in corridor carriages, built in 1911 for use on the Southend to Ealing Broadway service (which ran from 1910 to 1939), seen pictured with the District Railway electric locomotives that were used to haul them between Ealing and Barking, which The Hood produced back in 2013.

These carriages featured special lavatories that retained the waste, unlike the usual conveniences of that era, which simply dumped it upon the track, which would not have been suitable in the largely tunnel section between Earl's Court and Bow Road. These were some of the only carriages ever to work on what is now the London Underground that had lavatories, and were the last carriages to work on those lines with gangways between them until the "S Stock" (which we already have in the pakset) was introduced in 2012.

The data are to be found in this Github commit.

I am adding a (fairly) complete range of LTSR locomotives and carriages because, after having moved house last year, the line built by the LTSR is now the closest railway to where I live, and I travel on it frequently. It is also fortunate that it was a small company, so did not produce a very great variety of designs, so expect a few more L&TSR vehicles on this thread in time.

jamespetts

Here are the new LTSR arc roof 4 wheel carriages, available from late 1877 to 1891. Slightly shorter than some contemporary designs of 4 wheelers, they are also a little less comfortable (the LTSR was not renowned for its comfort).

They are shown together with the LTSR 1 Class from the above post, with slightly improved graphics around its cab.

The sources are in this Github commit.

The Hood

Excellent. They may not make it into standard for a while as I'm attempting to balance what I have got for now!

Drewthegreat87

If I can get the image and .dat files, I'll configure them for standard. I don't have a github account for adding them into the pak branch, but I can at least work out the .dat files etc. Might be a few days or so till I can get to them, but still.

jamespetts

Here is the L&TSR 37 class 4-4-2T locomotive of 1897 and some L&TSR 6-wheelers (built from 1891 onwards; the L&TSR was much slower than other railways to adopt the 6 wheel type; indeed, many railway companies were building bogie carriages by this time).

These carriages are a little unusual in that, despite being 33ft 11 1/2" in length, they had a full 6 compartments, allowing for 60 seated passengers at 5 per side as was usual in carriages like this that were 8ft wide. This gave only 5ft 8in between compartments, much less than contemporary stock. Consequently, these have a lower comfort rating than other carriages of their type and era, but make up for it by having a higher seating capacity. These are likely to be useful, therefore, on shorter distance services.

As with other L&TSR brake carriages, the brake ends are painted vermilion red, and the brake compartment is in the middle.

The sources are available on this Github commit.

Edit: More stuff added hereafter

Here is the L&TSR 51 class with a short mail train made up of 4 wheelers:

The 51 class was only an incremental development from the 37 class, and was actually a smaller locomotive. The source files are added in this Github commit.

In Midland livery, here is the L&TSR 69 class, an 0-6-2T freight locomotive with a reasonable amount of power, pulling some box vans (which still need rescaling) by the seaside:

The sources for this are available in this Github commit.

Here is the L&TSR 79 class 4-4-2T, hauling a rake of bogie carriages (a 4 compartment centre brake to diagram 26, two 8 compartment non-lavatory carriages to diagram 18, three 7 compartment lavatory carriages to a variant of diagram 18 and another 4 compartment centre brake):

The 79 class is the only L&TSR class an example of which has been preserved. It is also the only L&TSR class which was built (with slight modifications) after the L&TSR was absorbed by the Midland in 1912 (and, indeed, even after the 1923 grouping; right up to 1930, in fact).

The sources for the locomotive are in this commit, while the bogie carriages are in this commit on Github.

Finally, here is the L&TSR 87 class 4-6-4T (also known as the Midland 2100 class) in Midland Railway livery with a rake of the same L&TSR corridor carriages seen above, but this time also in Midland livery:

The real L&TSR 87 class locomotives were less successful than they might have been because they were found to be too heavy for the viaducts leading into Fenchurch Street. They spent some time working the Ealing to Southend services (as these were electrically hauled to Barking, thus avoiding Fenchurch Street), on which they would have worked with the corridor stock pictured, but spent much of their lives working suburban trains from St. Pancras to Bedford (the "Bed-Pan" services) after absorption by the Midland.

The sources for this locomotive are available in this Github commit.

The Hood

These look great. One thing though (for experimental only I suppose) - the new signal boxes are a nice addition but appear to dwarf everything else - they appear about double scale to me?

jamespetts

Quote from: The Hood on February 06, 2016, 11:20:04 AM
These look great. One thing though (for experimental only I suppose) - the new signal boxes are a nice addition but appear to dwarf everything else - they appear about double scale to me?

Is there a standard measurement for buildings? We have the 15m rule for vehicles now, but buildings are on a different scale; is there an equivalent for buildings?

They were intended to be in scale with the signals.

The Hood

Buildings are quite variable - it's a bit of a mess frankly. I think anything between 15m-30m per tile seems to be OK but it needs looking at. There are all sorts of issues to consider here - width v length of tile for the streets, differing sizes of buildings that all try to fit on 1x1 tiles... Ideally there would be a completely different mechanism for city and industry buildings (I have lots of ideas) but they would all be significant diversions from the current system so hard to implement. I'd like to experiment with multi-tile buildings and see what can be done there at some stage.

jamespetts

It is difficult to see how one could build signalboxes to scale if there is no clear scale to which they could be built.

The Hood

Agreed - it's something that will need to be looked at. In the meantime I've always settled for what looks about right in the game compared to other things, and on that basis the signal boxes as drawn appear much larger than their surroundings. Unfortunately buildings was the area that seems to cause the most problem when aiming for a consistent scale, especially as you can only have 1x1 easily for a lot of buildings. Anyway, I don't want to detract from your great work with the new locos.

jamespetts

The trouble is that, when there is no standardised scale, there is no way of calculating what will look right, and nothing looks right compared to everything in any case. Any smaller, and the signalboxes would not look right next to the signals, but they are already too large for the town buildings. There does not seem to be any basis for saying that scaling with town buildings is more important than scaling with signals. One will never get things right with scale without being mathematically precise about it from the outset.

Here is the SR W Class 2-6-4T, a freight tank locomotive built by the Southern Railway from 1930 to 1936:

The sources are in this Github commit, as corrected by this Github commit.

Here are the newly re-drawn SR Maunsell carriages together with the re-scaled SR Schools Class locomotive:

I will not add images of all the re-scaled vehicles here, as there are a great many of them and there is nothing fundamentally new, but noteworthy in this set of carriages are some new additions: there are separate front and rear brake graphics, (the first and last carriages), saloons (the fourth and fifth carriages) and dining (the 10th carriage) and buffet (the 11th carriage) cars. Previously, dining cars were defined but had the same graphics as the corridor thirds (second, third and penultimate carriages).

The carriages are added in this commit, which also rationalises the way in which they are represented in the code.

Edit 1

Here are the new SR Bulleid designed "all doors" corridor carriages, being hauled by the (unchanged) SR West Country Class 4-6-2:

These carriages represent a mid-point in the evolution between the Maunsell designed stock shown above and the later, longer Bulleid vestibuled corridor carriages of 1946, re-scaled versions with ended brakes and graphics for catering vehicles are shown below, together with a re-scaled SR N15 Class "King Arthur" 4-6-0 locomotive in malachite green:

The carriages were added in this Github commit.

Edit 2

Here is the LSWR H15 Class 4-6-0 in Royal Green livery pulling a rake of LSWR corridor carriages, recently re-scaled, including the new LSWR corridor dining saloon.

These locomotives were very similar to the N15 "King Arthur" Class, but with smaller driving wheels, and therefore a lower top speed but higher tractive effort than that class.

Meanwhile, here is the LSWR S15 Class 4-6-0 and some tanker wagons:

The LSWR S15 Class was similar to both the N15 and H15, but had smaller wheels still, giving it a lower maximum speed and even higher tractive effort than the H15. This class was used for heavy and fast freight for the most part. It is seen here in its Southern Railway black livery, but comes in a full range of liveries, including LSWR holly green.

Edit 3

Here is the SR U Class 2-6-0 (mogul):

It is depicted with a train of re-scaled LSWR Ironclad carriages in SR olive green.

The three cylinder equivalent of the two cylinder U Class, the SR U1 Class is shown here with a short van train (the parcels vans have been re-scaled):

The three cylinder U1 class has a greater tractive effort than the two cylinder U and has lower hammer blow (meaning less wearing of tracks), but is more expensive and very slightly slower.

The sources are available in this and this github commit.[/img]

Junna

Are you intending to do any rescaling of the SR EMU's too?

Also, you have yet to include the new things Hood made in december even in sources waiting dat-files. I was going to try to add them myself but editing them individually's such a bother I gave up.

jamespetts

Quote from: Junna on February 07, 2016, 04:01:34 AM
Are you intending to do any rescaling of the SR EMU's too?

I have already done the graphics for the rescaled and re-aligned SR EMUs: they are in the queue to be integrated to the pakset in due course (have a look at the "awaiting dat files" folder for the graphics). I have also added a few additional SR EMUs (and first generation Southern Region BR EMUs, too), as well as a full set of liveries for all the SR EMUs (with the exception of the franchise era liveries where applicable).

QuoteAlso, you have yet to include the new things Hood made in december even in sources waiting dat-files. I was going to try to add them myself but editing them individually's such a bother I gave up.

I have not done that yet; the plan is to do that after I finish work on the graphics that I have produced. I have not put them in the "awaiting dat files" folder because they have .dat files; just not ones with the Experimental parameters set.

Would it make it easier for you to add the Experimental parameters to the new Standard .dat files for the modern rail vehicles if I were to integrate them into my branch straight away, or is the adding of the Experimental parameters the very thing that is too much bother?

Edit 1

Here is the BR 4-REP (class 430) and 4-TC (Class 491), long-distance third rail units for the London to Bournemouth and Weymouth route from the late 1960s:

The 4-REP was somewhat unusual in being an electric multiple unit intended to haul an unpowered set (the 4-TC) or a pair thereof. The 4-TC could, in turn, be hauled by a class 33 diesel locomotive, as depicted here:

The motors from the 4-REP motor units were taken and used in the 4-WES Class 442 "Wessex Electrics" produced in 1988, so the motor units have been made upgradeable to the motor units of the Class 442 here, too (this was added in this commit).

Sources for the 4-REP and 4-TC are in this Github commit.

Here is the BR Class 421, 4-CIG, a long-distance EMU produced between 1964 and 1972 for the London to Brighton and Portsmouth main lines:

Like the 4-REP, one of the centre carriages can optionally be a buffet to give catering facilities.

The sources are added in this Github commit.

Edit 2

Here are the GER D56 Class "Belpaire Claud" and H88 Class "Super Claud" 4-4-0 locomotives:

Introduced in 1903 and 1922 respectively, both of them derivatives of the GER Claud Hamilton 4-4-0 of 1900, the former is a version with a Belpaire firebox and the latter a version with superheating. The earlier two locomotives can be upgraded to the Super Claud.

The locomotives are shown pulling the clerestory carriages which were previously in the pakset as GNR carriages but which are redesignated as GER carriages (with some consequential changes to their data) as there are going to be some new GNR clerestory (and other carriages) added shortly.

The sources for both locomotives are here.

Edit 3

Here is the GNR A class mixed traffic 0-4-2 locomotive of 1867, hauling a rake of 1860s mail carriages in Great Northern Railway livery:

Also introduced in 1867 was the GNR H class 2-4-0, intended for light express and semi-fast trains, seen here hauling some 1860s 4 wheeled passenger carriages in the Great Northern Raiway varnished teak livery:

Note that both locomotives are shown in the earlier GNR livery of dark green.

Here is the GNR G class (also known as the Stirling 8ft single), hauling a rake of Howlden GNR 6-wheel mail carriages including a Travelling Post Office (the penultimate vehicle).

The G Class and the carriages are not new in themselves, but have been re-scaled and the carriages put into the correct livery. The TPO is new, however, as previously this had the same images as the mail carriages, which was not correct.

Sources for all of those items, aside from the TPO, are added in this Github commit.

The Hood

Wow you have been busy. Wish I could have similar progress to report on rebalancing but...

Particularly good to see some earlier GNR locos and GER locos - we have plenty of representation on the LNWR and Midland but nothing much on the pre-LNER companies to date.

jamespetts

Thank you! The strategy with vehicles has always been to produce a coherent set, so I started with a comprehensive set of locomotives for two of the most important railway companies (the LNWR and MR), which were both antecedents of the LMS, which I also gave a full range; having a full range of at least one company's vehicles should allow the player to use a reasonable range of rolling stock for a wide variety of purposes, especially with major companies. There was also the LBSCR, and, more recently, the L&TSR as well, of course, as the Metropolitan and District Railways. Having done those, I thought it as well to give a good range to another one of the major railway companies, the GNR, although at this stage to save time, concentrating only on long-distance passenger and mail locomotives and rolling stock. The next in the list is the LSWR (for which I have graphics for a full range of rolling stock already, but am very limited in locomotives so far) followed by the venerable GWR. The GER I should like to do one day, but, aside from the varieties of the Claud Hamilton and re-purposing of the clerestory carriages, as above, that will have to wait for the time being.

Continuing with the GNR theme, here is the GNR Stirling 7ft single 2-2-2, hauling some GNR 4 wheeled carriages:

This locomotive (also known as the B class) was built from 1868, and was the forerunner to the more well known 8ft single of 1870.

Meanwhile, here is the GNR G2 class (a slightly later development of the 8ft Stirling Single 4-4-2) with some Howlden bogie carriages:

Not pictured is the GNR G1, which shares the graphics with the G2 so similar in appearance were they. The G, G1 and G2 represent three different stages in the development of Patrick Stirling's most famous locomotive, which was built from 1870 to 1895, and was refined a number of times during that period.

Here is the GNR Q Class 2-2-2 locomotive with a rake of Howlden designed bogie lavatory carriages and mail carriages (including a TPO):

This locomotive was built from 1886, and therefore overlapped considerably in production with the G series of 4-2-2 locomotives for which Stirling is most famous; by all accounts, these seem to have been slightly superior engines, which is reflected in the power and top speed data, but they are also slightly more expensive.

The development of the 4-2-2 was continued by Ivatt after Stirling left office in 1895, resulting in this G3 class of 1900, seen here hauling some GNR clerestory corridor carriages, including some mail carriages and a TPO:

Those clerestory carriages came in both 8 and 12 wheel versions. Below are some of the more luxurious 12 wheelers behind the GNR C2 "Klondyke" class 4-4-2 "Atlantic" locomotive, which is already in earlier versions of the pakset, but which I have re-scaled and improved the graphics generally.

The 12 wheel carriages have a higher comfort rating and capacity than the 8 wheelers, but are more costly and have a higher rolling resistance per unit of weight.

In the later GNR period, Gresley produced the elliptical roof carriages that were the direct forerunners of his carriages for the LNER. Here, being hauled by GNR C1 class 4-4-2 "Atlantic" (already in the pakset, but rescaled and improved here) are a selection of these carriages, including a 12 wheeled dining car and TPO:

In terms of secondary passenger locomotives, here is the GNR E1 class 2-4-0 of 1897 hauling a mix of Howlden 6-wheelers and bogie lavatory carriages:

The E1 class is a direct descendant of the H class (see above). Not pictured is the intermediate H2 class, which was visually indistinguishable from the H class, but with some refinements, which are reflected in the pakset data (including giving the H2 but not the H data to represent being fitted with continuous brakes).

The GNR also produced some 4-4-0s, but not, unlike other railways, for express use, but for secondary passenger use. Here is a GNR 1321 class 4-4-0 of 1898 hauling a short rake of mail carriages:

Not pictured is the GNR D2 class of 1896, which shares the graphics with the 1321 class and over which the 1321 class is a small improvement.

Finally, here is the GNR D1 class 4-4-0 of 1911 with some Gresley designed elliptical roof non-corridor lavatory bogie carriages of 1908:

jamespetts

Some earlier GNR locomotives now: here is the GNR Wilson 6ft Single of 1847, together with some very early carriages in GNR livery:

This 2-2-2 locomotive, built by E. B. Wilson, was a close cousin of the LBSCR "Jenny Lind" locomotive (built by the same workshop), with apparently only detail differences.

This is the GNR 203 class 2-2-2 of 1851, built by Hawthorn:

It is also hauling some very early carriages in GNR livery.

The GNR did not build many coupled engines, but this GNR 223 class 2-4-0 of 1855 was an exception:

Seen hauling the later 1840/1850ss carriages in GNR livery, this locomotive had a greater tractive effort than the singles, but smaller driving wheels and a little less power. Although no exact figures are available, I have given this a lower top speed and cost than the singles.

Finally, this is the Sturrock 7ft single 229 class 2-2-2 of 1860:

It is seen hauling the 1860s carriages in GNR livery.

dannyman

Beautiful rolling stock!

My 2c on the signal houses is that if they are a bit oversize that is probably just as well because then the player can find them more easily?

Once a happy scale is found for buildings maybe the signal houses will have a consistent sort of sign / player color on them to help players find them.

Though, as I understand it, the signal houses are pretty static once built, simply enabling a signal range, which one likely toggles via an overlay? In that case, player likely unconcerned how easy it is to find them.

Anyway, yeah, like I said, thanks for churning out and fixing up some beautiful trains to play with. :)

jamespetts

As discussed above, there is not much of a consistent scale for the buildings; the signalboxes are intended to be in the same scale as the signals. Placing new signals does require finding and selecting (with the information tool) a signalbox to which they are to be connected, so it is important that the signalboxes be easy to find.

Here is the LBSCR Gray Single 2-2-2 of 1846:

It is the forerunner of the more famous Jenny Lind locomotive; not as fast or powerful as the latter, but still decent, and somewhat less expensive.

Here is the LBSCR E2 0-6-0 goods tank locomotive of 1913:

This was a powerful but small locomotive useful for short distance freight transport. It was also used as the basis for the Rev. W. Awdrey's "Thomas the Tank Engine" in the Railway Series of books for children.

jamespetts

Here is the Midland Railway 2631 Class 4-4-0 of 1901:

This was the first of the Midland's three cylinder compounds and the immediate predecessor of the 1000 class. Not pictured is the superheated version of the 1000 class 4-4-0, which uses the same graphics as the saturated version.

This is the LNWR 19in Express Goods 4-6-0 of 1906:

This is in effect a version of the Experiment class with smaller driving wheels, giving a higher tractive effort at the expense of a lower (100km/h) top speed.

This is the LNWR Small Bloomer 2-2-2 of 1853:

This is a smaller and more economical version of the original LNWR Bloomer 2-2-2 locomotive intended for secondary passenger work. Its performance is significantly less than its larger sibling.

This is the LNWR Extra Large Bloomer 2-2-2 of 1852, an enlarged and more powerful (albeit less economical version of the original Bloomer:

It is shown both in its original Southern Division red and its later LNWR standard black (most of these locomotives have multiple liveries, but, except in this case, only the one livery is depicted).

This is the LNWR McConnell Large Single 2-2-2 of 1861:

It is in effect the replacement for the Bloomers, which had been very successful, but which were not powerful enough for the increasing demands of the 1860s.

Finally for this post, here is the Mersey Railway EMU, both the original (clerestory) version of 1903 and the later (elliptical) version of 1923:

The original clerestory version is based closely on Junna's original graphics, but re-scaled and in the correct red livery (the green livery previously used I believe was the livery of the locomotive hauled coaching stock of that line, not the EMUs). The 1923 units are based on those re-scaled graphics and altered as to their roof and doors (which were filled in from the original open platforms. These units are fully interoperable, as seen here.

jamespetts

This is the SECR N Class 2-6-0, hauling a rake of SECR utility vans:

The N Class, a mixed traffic locomotive, was one of the SECR locomotives that the Southern Railway continued to build after the grouping, which is why I have included it despite the SECR not currently being a priority. Likewise, these vans were produced in the early Southern Railway days.

Here is the SECR N1 Class 2-6-0 in Southern Railway livery:

The N1 was the three cylinder version of the N, with a higher tractive effort and lower hammer blow (damage to the track), but a higher cost and slightly lower power and top speed.

This is the SECR K Class 2-6-4T, which was also built by the SR after grouping as the "River" class, used mostly on Kent coast expresses:

It is shown hauling a rake of re-scaled Maunsell carriages.

jamespetts

Some third rail EMUs from the south of England, since EMUs are always popular with players; firstly, although not strictly new, I have re-organised how the LSWR EMU and the SR 3-SUB are represented. The LSWR EMU, (pictured below):

has dispensed with the incorrect varnished wood livery, which I do not believe that these units ever carried, and is introduced directly in the LSWR sage green livery which is only later applied to locomotive hauled coaching stock.

The SR 3-SUB, meanwhile, is now based on the longer and therefore higher capacity Eastern section units, rather than being, as it formerly was, just an olive green version of the LSWR EMU; however, the LSWR EMU's production time is extended to 1927, as Western section EMUs were built to this pattern until at least 1926.

Pictured below, left, is the 3-SUB based on the Eastern Section type (two three car trains are coupled here to form one six car train, as was common in practice):

On the right of the picture is the new SR 2-NOL, a short high capacity suburban unit of a type used on local routes out of London on the newly electrified lines stretching well into the southern provinces in the 1930s. In reality, these were all made by rebuilding existing LSWR carriages; I have yet to finish all the LSWR carriages for which there are waiting graphics, and I am not sure whether this should be able to be built independently or only as an upgrade from the LSWR carriages. At present, it is set to be able to be built independently.

Here is a later 2-car unit, the 2-HAL:

Introduced in 1938, they were the first EMUs designed by Bulleid, and were, by all accounts, not very comfortable: they had seats with minimal padding, and only one of the two carriages had access to a lavatory (although they were better than the 2-NOL, which had no lavatory at all, albeit the 2-HALs were designed for somewhat longer distance work).