News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Glichy trains, won't move.

Started by fam621, January 12, 2017, 05:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fam621

The build date is the 12th January 2017. Here's a picture of the problem: http://imgur.com/a/Etc2K

jamespetts

I am afraid that I do not understand: 120.7 is not a version number that has ever been used with Simutrans-Experimental. Can you clarify precisely what version that you have? What is the build date?

Also, when you say "the trains won't move", do you mean that no train will ever move (in which case, I am afraid that I cannot reproduce this), or that some specific trains are not moving in some specific circumstances? If the latter, you need to state clearly what those circumstances are, or else I have no hope of understanding the problem, let alone fixing it.

As I wrote on the other thread, I did fix a bug that could be described as trains not moving yesterday evening. I do not know whether you have the executables compiled with that fixed code, however, which is why I need you to identify with more precision what version that you are using.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Rollmaterial

Fam621, press B to display route reservations to check if the trains are stuck because of some leftover ones.

Ves

On the picture, I see alot of trains holding at signals, but as far as I can see, it looks like they are holding because the following block is also occupied or reserved, ie heavy congestion. There might even be a good old fashion deadlock somewhere! :)
To figure out which train(s) is causing the congestion/deadlock, you just "follow" the holding trains forward. Find out why one train cannot enter the next block, find out why the train in that block cannot enter its next block and so fourth. Finally you will arrive to some place on the map, where either a bottleneck exists (trains are running), or a train is doing something it should not! That could be a misplaced sign or signal, or it could indeed be a bug (ie two trains head on on a plattform, or a leftover reservation etc).

In order to to track down where a bug might be, you need to perform these steps and physically locate it on your map.

If the deadlock occurs because of a choose signal is sending trains to an already occupied platform, then you note that too.
If there are random reservations at places where they should not be, you write where they are to be found too.
If something else strange is occuring, you note that too.

... and send everything to the forum, including the savegame. :)

jamespetts

I see that you edited the original post to add the image rather than replying, which means that I only saw your response by chance rather than being notified of it automatically. Please reply to questions by a direct reply rather than by editing the post about which the questions are being asked.

I am afraid that, for some reason, I can never see files hosted on Imagur. I am afraid that you will need to describe the problem clearly and precisely for me to be able to find and fix it. You will also need to answer my specific question about the version date that you are using: I notice that you edited your post long after I asked that question, yet you did not answer it.

This is important, because, as I have already written, I fixed a problem that could be described in this way yesterday, and I do not know whether you have the updated version. I also do not know whether you have attempted to clear the incorrect block reservations that are left over from when the fault was present that would have been saved: the fix only prevents new incorrect reservations from arising: it cannot detect old ones that have been saved.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

fam621

I can not reply because I have been told off by Issac for replying in under 24 hours. I have now found out that all I have to do is delete and replace the track. :)

Rollmaterial

Quote from: fam621 on January 13, 2017, 06:15:10 PM
I can not reply because I have been told off by Issac for replying in under 24 hours.
That only applies when you wrote the last post, hence "double-posting". Otherwise you're just replying.
Quote from: fam621 on January 13, 2017, 06:15:10 PM
I have now found out that all I have to do is delete and replace the track. :)
Or you can also press B then click the faulty reservation to remove it ;)