News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

New to the game on Steam, have a bunch of questions

Started by zeether, May 16, 2017, 09:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeether

Hi,

I started playing the Steam version of SimuTrans with pak128 and I am very stumped and annoyed at several things. First of all, the sound/music options in the Steam launcher don't work and the game is silent. I'm not sure how to fix it. Secondly, I cannot figure out a decent station layout because when I try something like the screenshot below, the train will not go around the curve at the end and just reverse out. Can somebody please help me?

Ves

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

The sound issue, I dont know, but probably someone else on these forums can give a hand with that!

The train, however, might be a bit tricky to setup, but what you want to achieve is indeed dooable:
The train will at all times find whatever way is the shortest way between two of its stops/waypoints in the schedule, which means that the trains might take undesired routes sometimes! Also, as you have noted, trains can reverse in their track.
Luckily, there are some tools to manipulate the trains and make them use the routes you want.
In your situation, it looks like you have made a circle of track and you want the train(s) to go in a circle. To avoid the train to reverse, you have to enforce the direction in the circle, and that is done by clicking multiple times with the signal building tool while building the signal. First time you click, two signals will appear, like in your image, and such a pair may be passed in both directions. Second and third time you click however, there will only be one signal and that will prohibit trains from going in the 'other' direction. It will effectively become a signal in one direction and a no entry sign in the other.
This will force the train to find alternative routes, since the original (and shortest) is now blocked by a signal facing the other way. Be carefull when you use the signals, so you are  accidentally enforcing directions where you do not intend!
Alternatively, you can use one way signs.

A trick to place multiple signals in a row is to "drag" signals along the track (click with signaltool on a pice of track tile, and keep it pressed while dragging along the track). This will place a row of single faced signals along the track. The distance that will be between the signals is shown as a small yellow number on the signal icon. To alter that, click on the icon while pressing the ctrl-button on your keyboard and a new window will appear where you can adjust the number.

I hope this helped something! :)

Vladki

Hello. I think that Ves has said all I wanted to tell you about signals.

I don't know play with steam so I don't know if there is some specific way to enable sound. But Sound in simutrans is nothing you should worry about. Even if you make it work I bet you'll turn it off after few hours. There are some nice MIDI tracks in the install directory, so you can play them with some other music player. But then just play your own favorite tunes ;)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Yona-TYT

This is explained very well in the tutorial scenario, unfortunately we have to wait for a new stable version of simutrans to be able to use it (and that steam update as well).

zeether

Oh shoot, I had probably thought that was a signal issue...I've always done ro-ro or terminus stations in OpenTTD but never one where it's just one line in a circle.

I guess I can do without the sound if it's nothing special too.