Author Topic: Demo game - signalling fix  (Read 358 times)

Offline Vladki

Demo game - signalling fix
« on: September 03, 2017, 08:39:00 PM »
Few months ago I have promised to fix the demo game, with respect to signalling. I could not find the relevant thread, so here I start it again.
I have put absolute block almost everywhere, and also did some small adjustments to schedules and track layout and train composition (different constraints especially due to passenger brake cars - differentiated front and rear).

James, please have a look at it if you agree that the signals are used as they should have been. I wanted to use token block on some lines but found out that it is extremely unpractical. BTW is there a reason, why there is no underground token block (or one staff) signal and no combined absolute block signal (the one with red and yellow arm)

I will probably make some more changes (link some factories - car factory, gas station, builders yard), to get more goods in the game. I'd also like to change the tunnel in casterbridge to tube tunnel, to show that sort of constraints.

I also have a question about loading times. There are two mixed pax+cargo trains (yellow and green player). Although they have fast cars (passenger rated), they take long time to load. That is OK on stops where something is (un)loaded. But they delay the train also on stops where nothing is loaded at all (or even the stop does not accept goods at all). I wonder whether a car that is neither loading nor unloading anything should not have a zero loading time. And the minimum defined in .dat would be used only if there is at least one unit (un)loaded.

The new game is here: http://list.extended.simutrans.org/~vladki/debug-saves/britain.sve

Offline Ves

Re: Demo game - signalling fix
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 10:01:05 PM »
Nice, looking really good! Really took a while to get used to the map rotation though!  :o

What about using some one train staff, like on the road stretch between Havenpool Railway station and the dock and on the end down to Christminster Eastgate?
Read you had issues with the token block method, there really are candidates for token block lines on the map I think!  :)

Offline Vladki

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 06:38:26 AM »
Ah I forgot to to save the map on the same spot and rotation as usual.

I wanted to use token block on the lines to Kingsbere and Casterbridge underground.

Havenpool dock line is limited to 20 km/h so the train staff would not improve the speed in comparison to drive by sight. But it could prevent a deadlock if more trains are scheduled to go there.

Offline jamespetts

• Simitrans-Extended project coordinator
  • Helpful: 172
  • Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
  • Languages: EN
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 06:17:14 PM »
Thank you very much for this. I have now uploaded a slightly modified version as the demo.sve on the passenger-and-mail-classes branch of the pakset. The modifications that I have made are:

(1) I have reset the rotation and location to the former standard (approximately so far as the location is concerned);
(2) I have changed the livery of some of the trains to match the correct era; and
(3) I have added an aircraft to travel between the two airports (there were no aircraft in the pakset when this map was first made).

Thank you very much for this: it is much appreciated.

As to the loading issue, may I request that you put that in a separate thread? It is very difficult to keep track of two quite distinct issues (the demo game and a feature request) in a single thread.

Thank you again.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Offline Vladki

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 07:32:43 PM »
Unfortunately I have broken my savegame by switching between classes branch and master... So I'm starting again, with more pausing so I hope to not advance the time line too much further. I'll add the promised tube tunnel and the airplane. Added train staff to the Havenpool harbour. Any other sugesstions?