News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

City Growth

Started by LeifInge, May 15, 2009, 01:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeifInge

Hi, I see there is a lot of discussion about City Growth and how to do it in ST? Could anyone sum up in an easy way how it works as of v102.0 (PAK 128)

colonyan

Hi, since I'm a game behavior freak(city growth), I will give a word on it.

City registers how many person wanted to travel.
It then counts the number of person who actually managed to get in to the station.
Overcrowded station, no station/stop at destination, too many transfers and no station/stop cover at starting point
causes people not going to travel.

Principle is simple, if you managed to serve all passenger, you will get full potential growth.
Same for mail. For goods, you need to keep the stores consuming.

Also, all city has same behavior on growth. If you have three, 500 person town and serve them 100%, they should
grow same speed.

Quote from: LeifInge on May 15, 2009, 01:49:42 PM
how to do it in SM.

What's a SM ?

LeifInge

Mistype.. ment ST

How important is passengers, mail and goods?
Will cities without goods grow slower than a city which has a goodsline operational?
Does the number of goodslines affect growth? (Funiture vs Gas and Cars)

colonyan

Importance: There's some fixed influence factor. About 40% 30% 20%, for pass,good,mail. (I know it doesn't make 100%
but you got the idea)

For city having more goods to supply.
Those are like criteria.  If served, they still will grow at same speed as city of same size but with no good consumption.
Those industry chains are made to slow down the growth if they were not served.
So, game is basically to pursue infinite growth...

jamespetts

(1) The following ratios apply: passengers: 40; mail: 20; goods: 20

(2) Yes

(3) What counts is the proportion of goods delivered compared to the goods demanded by industries (including shops) in the city.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

LeifInge

One more question, when is monuments added? Do comen when a town get to a certain size?
And when is new attractions and companys added?

colonyan

Each monument and attraction has its distinct trigger to make them placed in one of cities.
Triggers determines at which population it has chance to appear and at what percentage.

Ex. School   when a city reaches pop of 1000, there is X% chance that it gets constructed.

There is different attraction for each pak sets and is designed by pak mainainer.
---
Company, I assume industry chain from what you says.
It appears each X growth of the city where X is determined in cityrule config in each pak set.
If you have 3 cities and if they grow X respecively, you will get 3 new industry chain in your map.

lemansgranprix

One other thing I noticed that helped spur growth (maybe more industry than city), was I began servicing all of the towns and almost all of the tourist attractions.  Once this happened, within a very short amount of time, I had a whole additional industry available. 

Note:  I had also serviced most of the industry already and did not see this change until I finished serving all towns by bus and almost all tourist attractions.

As this is my first post, I also want to add, "Kudos to Simutrans".  What a great game, thanks to all who have contributed.

jamespetts

Welcome to the forum!

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Severous

Hi

Can I check my understanding of numbers on the City information window:

This is Appinglock. Year 1815 Population 10,168 Pak64 V102

Travelled 10,408
Passengers 22,829
Sent 692
Mail 3,892
Arrived 1,092
Goods 3,276

Do these numbers work in growth as follows? :

Travelled 10,408/Passengers 22,829 = 46% x 40 = Passenger influence
Sent 692/Mail 3,892 = 18% x 20 = Mail Influence
Arrived 1,092/Goods 3,276 = 33% x 20 = Goods Influence
Total influence/score for growth = 28

In this case I have neglected passenger and mail coverage. There are buildings all over the world outside of station coverage and stops full of passengers. I have 100% supplied planks to the Materialswholsaler (One of three items wanted..hence 33% score?)
Regards
Sev.

Severous

An old thread on City Growth that I recall from my previous time playing simutrans a few years ago.  I never got an answer then and based on a simple piece of research I think something may have changed since then.

Back then growth rate was said to be affected by in the following ratios:  passengers: 40; mail: 20; goods: 20

In a 'tiny' Pak64 (unmodified) game I observed these ratios: Passengers: 60; Mail 20; goods (not present)

Rather than passengers being twice as important as mail they appeared to be 3 times as important

Population growth was 78 each month with just a bus service. 
-I demolished a building, built a depot, started a mail service, demolished the depot/road.
-The city rebuilt a house in the tile vacated by the demolished depot.

- City growth is now around 104 each month, suggesting the passenger:mail growth ratio of 3:1

To check that the earlier 78 per month city growth was just from passenger travels I demolished the bus stops leaving just a mail service
- City growth fell to 23-28 per month
Regards
Sev.

jamespetts

These ratios can now be set by simuconf.tab, if I'm not mistaken.