News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Some Information

Started by Maragil, August 03, 2009, 03:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maragil

Whilst spending 2 hours attempting to get from one side of London to the other, I have got some passenger numbers for rolling stock.

The New BR Class 378 'Capitalstar', part of the Electrostar fleet, hold 200 people standing+sitting (3 People standing : 2 people sitting) per carriage (comfortably) - 300 as sardines :P . As of now, they are running 3 carriages. In the near future, increased to 4 carriages, from 3. Have Pantographs + 3rd Rail Contacts.

-- Related to that, will Simutrans Exp have the ability to have these kind of trains (Can run on pantograph/3rd Rail) , related to the 'Way Constraints' ?

The Old BR Class 313 (1976-1977 Built, into usage until 2009 at least, then obsolete) have the same electric capacity. Passenger levels are approx 235 per 3 carriages.  (78 people per carriage, 4 sitting:2 standing) However, from personal experience, I would consider that they should have a lower passenger level than the Capitalstars', which are considerably more comfortable.

More Info coming soon....

H./

jamespetts

Thank you - that is very helpful information. Both the 378 and 313s are in Pak128.Britain already, although I do not know whether the capacities are correct. The information on the overcrowded capacity is very useful indeed for Pak128.Britain-Experimental, which uses that feature. Would you have any interest in doing the research for the overcrowded capacity of all the vehicles in Pak128.Britain, and altering the .dat files accordingly? It would greatly expedite the release of Pak128.Britain-Experimental if you could. If you have to make educated guesses in some cases, don't worry, as any mistakes can be corrected in later releases.

Incidentally, did you mean that the 313s are less comfortable than the 378s, or the other way around? Funnily enough, I saw a 378 for the first time to-day at Stratford, but did not ride on it, as I was passing in another train. They looked quite good, though.

To answer your question, dual voltage trains can and will be accommodated using the way constraints feature by the simple expedient of not giving dual voltage vehicles any way constraint at all (but, being electric, they will still need some sort of electrification to run). I already have this set up in the sources for Pak128.Britain-Experimental.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Maragil

Quote from: jamespetts on August 03, 2009, 08:03:24 PM
Incidentally, did you mean that the 313s are less comfortable than the 378s, or the other way around? Funnily enough, I saw a 378 for the first time to-day at Stratford, but did not ride on it, as I was passing in another train.

313s are less comfortable :P

Quote from: jamespetts on August 03, 2009, 08:03:24 PM
The information on the overcrowded capacity is very useful indeed for Pak128.Britain-Experimental, which uses that feature. Would you have any interest in doing the research for the overcrowded capacity of all the vehicles in Pak128.Britain, and altering the .dat files accordingly? It would greatly expedite the release of Pak128.Britain-Experimental if you could. If you have to make educated guesses in some cases, don't worry, as any mistakes can be corrected in later releases.

Yes, proudly.

By the way, I don't suppose road vehicles tap bridges in Simutrans causing delays for 1.5hrs :D

Maragil

H./

AP

I'd love it if double decker buses carried a 0.0001% chance of getting stuck under a bridge...

jamespetts

Quote from: Maragil on August 04, 2009, 06:02:23 PM
313s are less comfortable :P

Ahh, I can believe that. They are not comfortable at all.

QuoteYes, proudly.

That is very kind - thank you. Do you know how to set up GitHub to set about making modifications to Pak128.Britain-Experimental's sources? here is the link to the repository on Github. Passenger railway vehicles, trams and 'buses will need doing - 'buses and trams are easier to research, generally, because they usually have an official standing capacity. If you find any errors in the base capacity figures as you go along, do correct those, too. Lots of useful information about 'buses can be found on Ian's Bus Stop.

QuoteBy the way, I don't suppose road vehicles tap bridges in Simutrans causing delays for 1.5hrs :D

Maragil

Do you want to write a patch for that feature? :-p

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Maragil

Quote from: jamespetts on August 04, 2009, 07:24:09 PM
That is very kind - thank you. Do you know how to set up GitHub to set about making modifications to Pak128.Britain-Experimental's sources? 

Absolutely no idea - I haven't written up the .dat file addendum on Simu Wiki yet anyway..

H./

jamespetts

Quote from: Maragil on August 04, 2009, 08:13:13 PM
Absolutely no idea - I haven't written up the .dat file addendum on Simu Wiki yet anyway..

Would you like me to go through it with you? :-)

kierongreen

For future reference - all vehicles added by me have the correct passenger (seated) capacity. Of course for some vehicles capacity may have changed throughout the working life due to refurbishments so just had to pick one value...

jamespetts

Kieron,

that's very helpful - thank you. Did you base your capacity on seated capacity, or total (seated plus standing) capacity? We need to differentiate the two in Simutrans-Experimental.

Maragil,

to set up Git on Windows, follow this or this tutorial. You will need to pull from my repository then create your own repository for your fork into which you will put your changes. You will need to tell me where you put your repository so that I can pull any changes from it and merge them in with the trunk.

Follow this guide to know what parameters of the .dat files to add/change. I am very grateful indeed for your help :-)

kierongreen

Just seated capacity. Use your own judgment if you want to add standing. Only exception I made for was DLR stock - where it was obvious that should include some standing. There is possibility I added some to class 378 overground ...

Maragil

Quote from: jamespetts on August 04, 2009, 09:44:24 PM
Maragil,

to set up Git on Windows, follow this or this tutorial. You will need to pull from my repository then create your own repository for your fork into which you will put your changes. You will need to tell me where you put your repository so that I can pull any changes from it and merge them in with the trunk.

NEVAH! - Can it be used with Linux?

H./

jamespetts

Quote from: Maragil on August 05, 2009, 07:32:55 AM
NEVAH! - Can it be used with Linux?

Since Git was created by Linus Torvolds himself, I'd say yes ;-) Tutorial here.

jamespetts

Maragil,

how are you getting on with this? As you may notice, I have recently been working on comfort and loading times for 'buses and trams, and I have added the overcrowded capacity of one or two 'buses while I am at it: see the latest commits to Github. Most of them still need their overcrowded (standing) capacity specifying, however (in those cases where the 'buses had a standing capacity, of course: coaches and smaller 'buses often did not). I have not started on trains yet.

Do let me know if you need any further help. Thank you for your work on this :-)