News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

[patch] Advanced windows moving/resizing

Started by swed, June 22, 2010, 05:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swed

Hello,

I'm not very confortable with the actual GUI.

Thats why I created this patch :
    - Control + leftdrag inside a window : move it
    - Control + rightdrag inside a window : resize it

For me it's very useful ; I can manage my windows quickly without clicking exactly on the titlebar or on the dragger.

And for ya ? Is that useless ?
What do you think about that ?

Thanks for your answers.

See ya,
Marc.

prissi

I am not very keen of too many control+Click stuff, as it is also used on some systems to emulate the right mouse button (like vintage MACs). But of course lets other commetn too.

VS

I'm looking at this patch from this angle: This sounds a lot like something your home platform does and you want it here, too.

Just some musings: I'd say that features like this are ok... until they start colliding and suddenly some users feel less equal than others. Because the game behaves like xyz, while they are used to abc, and then of course "this is the right way blah blah flamewar". But that's not a problem now, and it could be fixed in a number of ways.

Re ctrl usage: a) Does it hurt if a duplicate, alternate functionality isn't obvious? b) Is this only duplicate function? Answering these two questions is up to you :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

swed

Hello,

@prissi :
OK.
I wasn't aware of this problem, cause i know ctrl+drag is already used in simutrans (almost indispensable to build railways);
And i didnt know this "right mouse button emulation" system.

@VS :
It's not something my home platform does.
In my opinion, windows management is actually very uncomfortable, that's why I try to make it better (for MY personal usage only, at first).
[Sorry, but i don't understand those 2 questions you asked].

See ya !

VS

Alright, it's unique Simutrans behaviour then :) The questions were for prissi, in the context of "with ctrl it's hidden".

Still, I'm not the one to talk at all... ;)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

sanna

Quote from: prissi on June 22, 2010, 06:34:20 PM
I am not very keen of too many control+Click stuff, as it is also used on some systems to emulate the right mouse button (like vintage MACs). But of course lets other commetn too.
Actually it is used on very modern Mac:s as well... when a traditional one-button mouse is attached to it... or if you do not like your touchpad/magic mouse to use two-finger taps to simulate right click.. or.... However, ctrl+click for a windows system is usually represented by a cmd-click on a mac (cmd being the apple specific button next to the space bar)