News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Depot window - store a vehicle configuration/copy an existing vehicle

Started by Ashley, January 28, 2011, 01:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashley

Two enhancements for the depot window here. The first would allow you to save a vehicle combination for future re-use, this would make it a lot easier to run a consistent fleet since instead of having to build a vehicle again when you want to expand capacity on a line you could just select a pre-built one from a list. This would work as a favorites list that you save a convoy to manually.

So we'd need another 2 buttons in the depot window, "save convoy" (saves the current configuration as a new item in your saved convoys list), "delete saved convoy" (removes selected item from the list), "edit saved convoy" (loads it for editing, but doesn't buy the vehicles concerned - it'd be nice if there were a way to edit a convoy/multiple convoys before buying them. So you could put together a vehicle or fleet of vehicles, see how much they would cost in total and then buy them all in one go...), "buy saved convoy" (this would buy the selected configuration, loading it into the standard depot window as it works now). Selection could either be via a drop-down list, or via a seperate window similar to the existing depot window for managing saved convoys (could display a preview of the finished thing etc.)

The second idea is an expansion on this concept. When you select a line in the depot window the drop-down box changes to show a list of the convoy types currently operating on that route. You can then select one of these and it's copied to the depot window allowing you to quickly add an identical vehicle to an existing line. Another way to implement this would be for the depot window to be linked to the line management window (or to replicate similar functionality) to permit the selection of a convoy to copy the configuration from.

All of this would still require the use of depots, it'd just streamline the process of building identical vehicles by quite a bit. Often in games I'll settle on a particular configuration of vehicles and build my entire network around that, so it becomes tedious to have to rebuild the same vehicle every time I want to add capacity to a line (the "copy convoy" button is a great boon, but leaving one copy of a vehicle sitting in the depot for later copying is a waste of money).

Should the list be saved per-game, or per-pak? It'd be useful to be able to save convoys between games (again, I tend to use the same ones every game) so maybe the latter. This information is entirely client-specific too so it'd be easy to integrate this into multiplayer. All the other players need to know is that a convoy has been built, not that a particular player has these saved favorites. I'd therefore suggest that this information be saved in a local text configuration file, and linked to a particular pakset to allow for multiple paksets having their own list.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

arnoud

I mean Your first Idea is already happening.
When you in your depot where you had send a vehicle, you can select an other vehicle in the selection box.

and I support your second idea. 

Ashley

Sorry, maybe I wasn't entirely clear, currently you can build multiple convoys in a depot, and switch between them, but you have to own the vehicles and once they leave the depot you can no longer copy that convoy to make more. I'd like a way to save the information about the vehicles in a particular convoy for later use while not having to have a vehicle sitting around in the depot.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.