News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Measure/divide tool for routes (esp rail)

Started by AP, January 24, 2012, 04:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Hi everyone. So, I had an idea...

Like a number of players here I use rail networks extensively in my games. I've noticed from network games that a lot of players build full double-tracked networks. I use to do this; it's very good at handling high traffic levels, but when there isn't high traffic levels, a single track network costs half the maintenance, and should work just as well... provided you can get the passing loops in the right place. Which is rather tricky. If the route is dead straight, you can count tiles, using the co-ordinates. But most rail routes are not straight, they wind around hills and rivers and towns of course.

I know that if I put a loop dead central on a route, two trains leaving each end simaltaneously will cross without any delays, but except on an idealised route getting the loop in the right spot is a real pain. I used to put them in stations, but that's not efficient because towns are never equally spaced.

My suggestion therefore, is a tool, where, by clicking at two points on a rail network, the computer identifies the route from A to B (that which a train would take), counts its length, and then places signs or some other marker at prescribed divisions of the length. So if I want 3 equally spaced loops, I set "3" and then click twice, and it tells me where to build them. Sounds easy in theory, doesn't it?!  ;D

Thoughts?

Combuijs

Hmm..

1) I always do these kind of things at a guess. It's not really a problem if it is not right in the middle.
2) You don't want it to be in the middle distancewise, you want it to be in the middle timewise. That depends on the route (hills, curves) and on the trains you are using.
3) There might be a delay at a station or another sign, which makes it difficult to predict the exact schedule.

In short: the place you are suggested is most likely wrong anyway, so I don't see the value of the extension request.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

AP

I entirely take your point about division of distance being an approximation only, with division of duration being the ideal, I just assumed the latter is impossible to calculate (depends on vehicle choice etc). 

But one can adjust a few tiles either way to allow for that sort of thing, what I find hard is working out where to adjust from in the first place when the route is contorted.